Weird worm bin idea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by parinirvana, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Could you use a smart pot like a makeshift worm bin? Even better would it be smart to do that and just have it sit right on top of, say, a raised bed? That way any leachate goes straight into your garden and all the wonderful CO2 goes straight to plants. Typically leachate is really gnarly unless it is watered down that's why I wonder. Anyway I thought it would be a cool idea I'd like to hear some thoughts.

2. You hit the nail on the head my friend. I have a 100 gallon smartpot that I use for my worm bin. It works perfectly with no issues at all. Two things I would recommend is get a large one and water it down every so often.

SD

3. Right on man! it sounded like a cool idea in my head. Do you actually have it sitting on top of soil so that the runoff goes to plants? That would be extra awesome.

4. Honestly I have a few different worm bins.
    That large one is on a pallet so it doesn't water log. I have another "flow through" style bin made out of 5 gallon buckets. That one is what I'll primarily use for worm tea for the seedlings. And I also have a trash can filled with finished thermophilic compost that's seeded with worms in preparation for refilling the larger bin.

5. Sean

I would love to see a DIY for your 5gal if its working for you! I am currently stacking up on compost before I start my bins, thinking of stacking some Smarties with a wire frame.

6. MnM, Sean,

Since you're floor guys, you guys probably have access to these crates.

[​IMG]

If you take out the styrofoam and/or the cardboard and line it with some commercial grade landscape fabric, you'll have a huge aerated static worm bin for under 30 bucks.

I just used a stapler to clad the inside of the crate with the fabric and then loaded it with compost and worms. You can get a roll of the landscape fabric at HD about 28 bucks.

[​IMG]

7. Sure, give me a bit and I'll upload some pix later tonight.

8. #8 SeanDawg, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
    Chunk, I was about to suggest that he asks you. I've been jealous of your worm bin for quite sometime!

These are a few photos of the little bin I talked about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/forum/topics/diy-flow-through-bins-a
    This could also be a link that may be interesting. It has loads of different styles of flow through worm bins.

SD

9. Awesome thanks you 2

10. Nice one! I've got a roll of landscape fabric that looks identical to the fabric that SmartPots are made from. Paid half price on clearance in the off season, I only needed a few 1 foot square pieces to line my Earthbox, so now I have nearly a complete roll of fabric left. I've been brainstormin' about making a dedicated wormbin, something that's more functional than the 30 gallon Rubbermaids I'm using now. Now I've found my next project and a use for my fabric, and I don't have to buy anything.

11. Just make sure that its dense enough to hold the material, some of those fabrics are a little too light and tear relatively easily, so doubling the material may also be a "safe" thought.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll turn out great!

12. #12 JumboGarlic, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2013
    Dawg, I have several 5 gallon buckets that I thought of making a FlowThru from. Do you have any problems with corrosion of the wire in the bottom? I found a penny in a pot after harvest and it was partially dissolved only after a couple of months. The wire on yours looks coated, maybe I can find some of that at the chain store. My local Mom & Pop hardware store only carries the galvanized kind, I read on one of the vermi-forums that this shouldn't be used.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Fabric. I want to use the landscape fabric on a larger one, so I would make a sturdy frame similar to the pallet and I have a sewing machine for seems and loops and stuff (Sewing machines rock:metal:highly recommended for DIYers) the fabric I have is very tough stuff, it was the top grade they had. It's thick, I can only faintly see light through it when I hold it up to a bright window. I tried to tear it with all my strength and it won't even stretch! I lucked-up on half price, I'm thinking of making a hammock, too. lol.

13. Jumbo, if you do sew up a large bin/pot, leave an extra couple inches at the top; fold it over, insert a rope and then sew it closed, creating a drawstring.

This gives the top if the cloth some rigidity so that the sides don't flare out, but in.

I love sewing machines too.

J

• Like Like x 1
  14. #14 JumboGarlic, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2013
    I like the drawstring idea, built-in handles. I keep my two compost/worm bins next to my grow cabinet, I built the cabinet's intake vent against the floor to take advantage of the higher CO2 levels. I have plenty of "food" for the composters. Hopefully I can speed-up the reactions with the more breathable fabric and produce more CO2. You can't have too many composters.lol

15. Does anyone have any thoughts about the other idea? ---putting an airpot worm bin right on top of mulch in a raised bed so that the leachate drains right into soil. That way the CO2 and leachate go straight to plants..