Week three of flower. To trim or not to trim?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NZ18/6, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Hi guys,
    What do you guys think about taking off the excess and leaves that are shading in week three?
    Any thoughts appreciated?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Take them off. I defoliate multiple times throughout the grow. The leaves always grow back

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. It's possible to grow without ever cutting anything off.
    Leaves are solar panels that supply energy to the whole plant, not to just where the leaf is.
    Whenever you cut something off, you will stress and slow the plant at least a little.
    Leaf tucking to expose buds to light, and gentle bending over of the plant to expose more potential bud sites to more light can produce huge, fast yields.

In reality this matter is unresolved, with passionate proponents on both sides of the prune/don't prune debate.
    Cutting off a leaf only if it allows the plant to produce more energy than not cutting it off is probably best.

• Like Like x 1
  4. defoliate, energy that isn't used to maintain leaves after week 3 will go towards bud growth. so far it's been working great for me and I have one defoliate session left on friday which I'll be removing all the major fan leaves. I'm on week 3 as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. send a pic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks for the reply. Took a few off last night. Ones under the canopy that were not getting much light.

7. For some reason everytime or almost everytime when i tuck a huge fan leaf in to expose a bud site to better lighting that fan leaf dies on me..

turns yellow and starts shriveling up and super easily plucks off..

So basically the bud that fan leaf was attached to has to now bud & fatten up without that solar panel existing..

So next run im thinking of just taking it off if i feel its in the way instead of tucking it & having to take it off acouple hrs later anyway..

any ideas y this would be??

8. The leaf that is attached to the bud known as the sugar leaves is sufficient enough in gathering the energy needed to fatten it up. Pics have proven this theory. I just can’t wait to show mine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. So you sayin its kool to take the huge fan leaves off after 3-4 weeks of flower cause their not really needed anymore??

As long ws you dont *uck with the sugar leaves.. correct??

If so im tryin this with my next b.s bag seed swagg seed grow!!

10. After 3 and yup thats pretty much it. Thats my opinion. I believe defoliation works but only if you’ve had 0 problems with the plant over the course of its life in veg. Defoliating an unhealthy plant wouldn’t be a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Great thanks.. ill only be removing whats a problem thi.. the rest that arent in no way any issue due to how big it is can stay

• Like Like x 1
  12. I agree that trimming in flower should be kept to as little as possible. But you see on YT cannabis cup winners advocating quite heavy trimming. These guys know their stuff. I dont know if I can be as bruta to my babiesl. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks for reply. I did last night. All the old and big sun leaves and all the centres.
    I love everbodies differing opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I'm with the defollers. Anything in my way gets hacked off at any point of the grow. Works wonders

Sent from my SM-G850F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks for the reply Everything else in my garden, roses ect get a regular severe trim. So why should it be any different I suppose.

16. I've pushed it to see how much it takes to damage them. Nearly killed the one in my profile pic after a 50% shakedown. Looked dead for 10 days lol.
    30% seems to be safe enough though.

Few rules though.

Don't take off anything that isn't needed. No point. Just losing energy. If it's blocking light to something more productive then hack it off.

Try not to take both leaves off a node.
    Do that too often and you'll see the damage it causes.

Snip the stems a cm up. Not right on the main stem. Leaving a wee bit of the leaf stem means it heals faster and less chance of any weird shit happening as a result. Infections etc.

And for the first 3 weeks just leave them the fuck alone lol. If need be tuck the leaves under, they can be pretty sensitive early on. Especially autos. By 3 weeks though they're pretty much indestructible as long as you don't take the piss.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. Good point.

18. Thanks for reply but have taken a heap of energy suckers off.

19. Niceeeeee my babies are doing beautiful who needs those fan leaves :p

20. So frostyyyyy

Attached Files: