Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

weed to butter ratio?making big batches of butter and need a bit of help.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by tonster0161, Mar 10, 2013.

1. hello everyone. im making a couple batches of butter in the next day or to and i just have some questions and need some verification's before i begin. im a bit paranoid as 3 oz of old herb ive been saving up is at risk and alot of money could be lost if i fuck it up.

my first question is would an oz and half of good herb suffice for a pound of butter?alot of my research says 1 oz of herb to a pound but id like some extremely potent edibles.

i was planning on decarbing the bud slightly by putting a half oz in a foil pouch at a time and putting it in the toaster oven at 150 for 7 mins the first time then 160 for ten minutes a second time.does this sound right?should i increase or decrease temps and time?

i am going to be combing the butter and weed via double broiler, with a candy thermometer and i have an instant heat gun that detects temp. here is how i have this played out in my head.
    melt butter and stabilize temp at 180.add decarbed bud.stir constantly and keep at 180 for 6-8 hours.allow to cool then pour into Tupperware to be put in the fridge for 24 hours.
    next day: remelt the butter in double broiler and stabilize temp at 190. let mixture "cook" while stirring for another 12 hours.as the last hours are approaching increase temp and stabilize at 200 never letting it get above 220 as i believe thats the first temp that THC starts to vaporize at.when 12 hours strikes turn the heat off put the lid on and allow to cool.

i was going to strain via french press and Tupperware it up to solidify in the fridge.

does it sound like my end result will yield some bomb butter thatll put you on your ass or does it sound like im talking out my ass and need to do some more research?

any help is appreciated as i should be starting this tonight or tomorrow morning.

2. Okay, from what I've seen, 1lb:1oz. Double-boiler is the way to go, but I'd recommend clarifying your butter first. When decarbing, lower is better; better to gently decarb than rush it and degrade your weed. If your weed is already dried out and crumbly, you may not need to decarb.

If your paranoid, just stick to lower temperatures (below 200f) for longer time periods. BadKittySmiles has a phenomenal (stickied) edible thread worth examining that details ideal processes.