Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed sticks to saucepan?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by hog-hug, Aug 7, 2018.

1. I've made edibles a few times now and noticed that some herb sticks to the side of the saucepan. I'm wondering if I should be doing something to prevent this. Wouldn't that cause it to burn? I've never gotten a bright green color in my butter before, and I hear you're supposed to. Kine is always a bit brownish. I always assumed this was bc I decarb it, like you should, but now I'm worried I'm burning it. Help??

2. #2 GorillaGherkin, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    More water to the mix or may be time for a new set of pans. I use 2 cups water to every stick of butter.

3. You may need to just stir the sticking cannabis back into your butter. Decarb is 240F for 40 minutes. How long do you have it in the saucepan? I would not be concerned with the color if the butter turns out fine. I attribute the pretty dark green colors to chlorophyll, not THC, and that's not a good thing to have in excess in your butter. Unless you're cooking for hours and hours you are not burning your cannabis. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Try combining your herb and oil/butter into a mason jar and heating the jar up in just barely boiling water. This keeps the smells down, as well as making sure not to overheat the cannabis by using the double boiler as a buffer. Just shake your cannabis/butter/oil mixture every 30 minutes or so and enjoy

• Like Like x 2
  5. The color just depends on the method used.
    If you make oil or butter like this
    Coco-canna oil (water method)
    It won't be green. Now if you make it with a mason jar like @Soil2Coco said or use a MBM it will be very green. Once you decarb it looses it's chlorophyll and won't be green.
    If you're really worried about burning it I wouldn't just put cannabis and oil/butter in a saucepan. I'd use water and a bowl to cool or a mason jar method. If you do what soil2coco said just heat for 2 hours then take it off heat and let it sit infusing a while (3 or more additional hours off heat) before straining.
    Best of luck!