Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed makes my anxiety worse not better

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by j420j420, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Lately when i get high my anxiety worsens and I often start worrying about shit that doesnt make sense and sometimes even convince myself that something is true that I realize as soon as I start comming down that it is just retarted. The weirdest thing is ive heard so many people talk about how much smoking has helped out with their anxiety problems, does anyone know why this is happening, it never used to until late this summer. Any advice?

2. Take a break on the smoking. I'm not the one to ask, but it could be the strain you're smoking. Either way, lay off for a bit, and see how you feel.

3. It don't think its the strain i never buy a particular strain and buy from different people, I do notice that it usually doesnt happen when Im smokin arie but that is probably cuz it doesnt get me as high. And I have been tryna take breaks at various times but hangin with my friends is so boring when im the only 1 sober and we rnt doin anything so I havent been able to make it more than a week or so

4. Weeds not for everyone. If you have an issue with anxiety, weed can trigger that. If you really want to stop. Try to stay away from people that smoke so the temptation isn't there. If you can make it a week, you can stop for good. First weeks the hardest.

5. search leafly for strains, some actually help with anxiety those are the strains you want.

6. Hey man, I use cannabis for my generalized anxiety disorder and it works wonders. You just have to get the right strains. Try as much as possible to find indica dominant strains with high CBD. the CBD is the cannabinoid that counteracts the anxiety-creating effects of THC and calms your central nervous system so you can relax. I went through a stint of panic attacks caused by weed but i cut back per session and got indica-dominant strains and eventually the panic attacks faded.

hope this helps, weed can be amazing for anxiety, just give it time dude. :)

7. Haha I get anxiety every time I smoke unless I know I'm just sitting there with friends chilling.
    If I have to go do stuff always anxiety.
    Been smoking for 3 years heavily and another not so much.
    Just always figured it was something that came with it.

8. Well where does this anxiety stem from?

I was getting really bad panic attacks and pretty much got over them after I convinced myself that nothing bad was really going on.

I got so baked the other day that once again I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. Eventually with enough words to myself, I was able to calm down.

Sometimes its easy to blame the weed itself. Even if you are ok and you smoke, if you have been getting anxiety when smoking, subconsciously your body will involuntarily react to the weed in such a way. This will cause you to notice and then it spirals down from there.

9. The fact it's illegal to most people and the taboo around weed is what causes the majority anxiety and paranoia IMO.

10. Weed isn't for everyone, and it's not for some people all the time. I've also has spouts of anxiety after getting high, it's usually not weed related. Let me elaborate...

Most of the time, the anxiety that people feel when they get baked isn't the weed 'taking effect' it's something already there, just coming to the front.

So many things factor into an enjoyable high; people, setting, surrounding, temperature, location, time of day, state of mind, mood. If one of these things are off, even if it may not seem to bother you, weed will bring that out.

How many times have you been uncomfortable getting high in a certain place or during a certain time? It's not the weed, it's your circumstances.

The best tip I can give you, is find out which setting your most comfortable in, and enjoy weed in that setting.

It doesn't have to be something you do all the time, but it can be a good learning experience to bring out things that may already be bothering you inside.

Wish I could help more, but it's pretty late. Cheers! Happy smoking!

11. this. I use weed for anxiety as well and some strains can make your mind start racing and cause a panic attack. try some indica strains before you give it up entirely ;)

12. Your tolerance might be so high that you are smoking so much it is messing with your anxiety.

Honesty if I want to control my social anxiety it takes a hit. Just one hit calms me down enough to be relaxed.

Anything more in social situations can be bad if you're not mentally prepared (not used to being super high in public).

13. Ok thanks guys well I would try to get a strain with high CBD but i dont really have a choice of what strain it is, usually the dealers dont even know, the setting could be a factor to because it used to only happen in 1 specific place but now it seems to happen at random places to now. Also Ive been smoking for a real long time so i dont think its that weed isnt for me because i used to always be fine. Also its not like it happens all the time its just randomly like once every week or 2 and also it only happens to me if its the first sesh of the day. Thanks for the advice thoug

14. Also weed has improved my anxiety in general when im sober my anxiety is not nearly as bad as when i was a youngin

15. Great info. Thanks. I have GAD as well and have been looking for strains that will calm my nerves. Do you have the name of a few favorites or will pretty much and strong indica work?

16. Sounds like you need to chill out

17. Im not gonna lie, ive gotten anxiety when I've blazed before. What I've noticed is the only time it's happened to me is when I get just incredibly high. Maybe you should just smoke less in one sitting .

18. Those government reports of weed that say "Marijuana can worsen anxiety and depression" is actually true.

The government is telling some truth about the marijuana; shocking :0

19. Everyone keeps recommending indicas for anxiety, but personally I have pretty bad social anxiety and indicas make me couch lock and anti-social because I zone out so hard, but then because I'm so shut down physically my anxiety starts thinking "Fuck this is weird I should be talking" even though nobody else is either while we're watching TV or something, and it gets worse and ruins my high.

Sativas on the other hand always leave everyone talking, laughing, having a great time.

Indica vs. Sativa in my mind has nothing to do with anxiety, it's pure and simple the strain, because I've had sativas and indicas that have both caused anxiety.

20. It helped my anxiety tremendously, I used to get panic attacks that lasted hours they were miserable. Meditation also help me a whole lot with them as well, so maybe try to pick up meditation, you might find your anxiety goes away when you smoke if you meditate at least once a day. It's a very good mental grounding tool, it may counteract what you experience so you don't have to quit.

But again I've never had the problem, I just know meditation and marijuana are the only two tools that have really worked for my anxiety problem.