Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed for Mood disorders and depression ? Any experiences?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Mandj877, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Hello, I am new here !
    So I have been on antidepressants off and on for years...I feel like they do help but , I dont like the certain side effects etc. I have anxiety and depression, and I strongly feel I suffer from borderline personality disorder ( I know I need to see a doc) anyways, I weened off my meds , and trying weed...I am alot more calm, and I dont flip out like I was ! I think the weed is better ha...so , anyone else use weed for any illnesses ? Can weed really help my depression? It has been like a week of trying and I think it is..well see !

2. Did you read about weed helping depression ?

3. I'm bipolar. I smoke cannabis for recreation, tops, once or twice a week. BPD and bipolar are serious and you should be monitored by a doctor for your meds. If you're in a legal state, or MM state that should be easy to accomplish. I don't think using cannabis to control BPD without supervision is a good idea. You need a routine, and a consistent time to take your meds. If you can accomplish this with cannabis that will help. The short answer is I don't treat my bipolar with cannabis, I take psych meds and use cannabis sparingly for recreation.
    To use it as medicine I suggest you make canna caps, or a tincture so you can dose on a schedule. I don't think it's a good idea. Good luck, and yes, see a doctor.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ill read about it more...what is canna caps? thanks

5. Hi- look up endocannabinoid system. it regulates your mood via homeostasis of all your systems and cannabis plants produce the exact molecular compounds in the form of phytocannabinoids to boost up that endogenous cannabinoid system. most people suffer a severe lack of available cannabinoids from our diets and overall stress that depletes them constantly.

anytime you feel stress or worry your are using up endocannabinoids. as to the opposite- anytime you feel happy and content or with physical activity like sex and running you are creating anandamide- the endogenous cannabinoid that boosts your endocannabinoid system

6. When I was younger I was depressed and tried anti-depressants, they made my symptoms so much worse, that I quit taking them. After a few years of still being deeply depressed, a friend offered to let me smoke one of his joints to see if it cheered me up, after that day my depression faded away within the next year or 2 of heavily smoking marijuana, it really helped me be able to think about what was causing me to be depressed and fix those problems in my life. Before I used marijuana, avoiding my problems was the only thing I could do due to the pain of my depression being so overwealming that I couldn't address my problems. I've tried all sorts of different drugs, and I hate them all, marijuana is the only substance I like.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stuff low in THC but high in CBD. Charlotte's Web is probably a prime choice for anything mood related for leveling out. I'd also highly suggest getting something more on the THC side of the spectrum as getting high on it's own is therapeutic when done occasionally or even regularly. For people with depression and other mood disorders, we often forget what it is to be calm this is what your CBD heavy strains are going to get you to; and as I've been clinically depressed and been diagnosed with a severe acute onset anxiety disorder since I was 14 its often hard for me to remember that I've ever been happy, this is what the THC heavy strains do for me.

I also meditate daily and read books on zen to keep myself mindfully aware of my changes in mood so as to not make my personal problems someone else's. I'm not a medical professional and I don't live in a legal state, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but it's what worked for me in the past.

Peace and tranquility man, best of luck.

8. I have heard that some people have to be weened off thier anti depressants. One guy quit his anti depressants cold turkey and he ended up burning his house down. I mean on purpose. He was having a bad reaction to the withdrawl from the anti depressants so he burned his house down WTF?

Anyway, you may want to talk to your doc about the MMJ and tell him it works wonders for you. Maybe he can get you a federal script for a lifetime supply of weed. good luck.

Oh and uh OP....welcome to the city! :)

9. I am a mm patient in Mn. I started down this road 9 months ago. I started for the initial condition. I am also type 2 bipolar. My major episodes are spring and fall every year that usually ends in hospital or out patient. This is the 1st in the last 8 years that has not happened. I am no longer on psych meds. Just my experience and yours may be different and I agree with the post above about working with a professional when it comes to this. I responded different in that more THC and less CBD helps me.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  10. I agree with joker1211. IMO mm may help symptoms but it might not always be the answer. Not saying you shouldn't smoke but if you think you have a serious condition you should probably check with a doctor. My sister had BPD and recently passed away. She was fighting with it for a while and I didn't even know. She smoked weed too. Just never hurts to check it out.

Also, welcome to GC

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum