Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed and weight lifting

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mrmuffinman, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Does weed slow down your building of muscle? I maxed out benching at 250 about three months ago and havnt improved since. All that time i ha started smoking daily. I just feel like i make no progress. Im not being lazy, my body just feels at the same strength. Anyone else?

2. NO, marijuana does not affect muscle growth. When you work out you tear, micro-tears, in your muscles. When they heal from rest and good nutrition, you gain muscle mass/size... putting it as simple as I could.

Some people like working out high. Others do not. It helps me relax my muscles so that I can actually workout since I can't because I have tense muscles!

You seem to have reached a plateau. My suggestion would be to make an attemp to move up to the next weight size (255 or 260...). If you have do 1 or 2 reps less it would still be in the same rep range you are using. Otherwise try to do an extra couple of reps, with the 250lbs. May I also suggest other techniques like drop-sets, they are great! NEVER compromise weight for form. Also make sure you are using the right technique. FORM, FORM, FORM!

Scoob
    :smoking:

3. lol scooby is that you? op make sure your hitting ur calories and macros and getting adequate rest. Get slightly buzzed before lifting, shit is better than a pre workout

4. I've been smoking daily before my workouts and I've seen nothing but improvement on how much I can bench.

5. Scooby? Are u scooby from the youtube vids ha

6. Marijuana doesn't affect your physical performance at all.

People plateau every once in a while. What affects it is your sleep, diet, and routine. You're doing something wrong there.

7. alcohol will inhibit protein synthesis. weed however may boost estrogen in individuals prone to bitch tits (aka gyno), but no it wont hurt your progress.

8. No, I workout and smoke weed everyday. It hasn't affected my gains at all. To me it sounds like you have hit a plateau. If I were you (it sounds like you want to increase your max bench) I would do madcows intermediate 5x5. Does wonders for strength, not so much for size, but strength will come with size.

9. :laughing: Nah, I just LOVE bodybuilding. Haven't lifted in a little while since I'm injured but that doesn't stop me from learning!

Strength comes in lower rep ranges, i.e. Madcows, Starting Strength... 5rep routines.

To gain mass you want a bodybuilders, hypertrophy style routine. High rep ranges, 10-12, we don't care about strength, we want to build size.

10. #11 2jza70, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
    I've had nothing but gains since I started smoking, especially with cardio. It was nice because before it I was kind of stuck like you are now. I think the big difference was switching to general fitness and balance instead of just trying to get big lol

11. Wait is it true that smoking weed affects sperm count? Would that in turn effect bodybuilding gains?

12. #13 Brutal1ty, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
    There has been talk of decreased testosterone in heavy smokers... But you have to wonder: is it the tar\smoke particles? The THC? The CBD? The CBN? The other cannibanoids? Or perhaps the lack of activity? (some smokers are lazy, don't even try to deny) Or the lack of proper nutrition? These weren't bodybulding smokers of course... They might have normal level testosterone due to proper diet and exercise.

It hasn't been 100% confirmed either I believe. More like one of those ''biased'' studies...

However: It IS confirmed that athletes whilst under the influence perform at least 8% worse than they normally do, at best.

It is also confirmed that you can feel ''energy-less'' after a bowl or two, which could potentially hinder your gains. Depends on the person though.

Pro's of cannabis use: extra hunger -> You'll need it to grow some muscle. If you're not gaining weight (and fat) you're not gaining muscle either.

Relaxation + Better sleep speak for themselves. An extra on the ''relaxtation'' part:

Stress hinders your gains... Why? It directly affects hormone levels... You will not be fully pumped with test if you're a stressy person (like me). So relaxting a few hours before bedtime could actually give you a longer ''resting'' period in which your muscles get a chance to properly get reïnfused with nutrients & amino acids they so desperately require as well as allow normal test production to continue.