Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed And Psychosis?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by DuckyOutlook, Sep 6, 2014.

1. I have been a supporter of cannabis for a long time, and still smoke it still.

My brother is having a lot of mental issues right now and he's been smoking marijuana since around 16, he's now 23 in a week or so.

I'm just wondering if there is any link between marijuana and psychosis / scitzophrenia.

I truly hope there isn't but I don't want uninformed responses saying "Weed is wonderful" without having any knowledge on the subject.

Thanks.

PS: He's also been trying to quit marijuana for a month now, and he can't.

I'm starting to regret smoking cannabis, because I believe for a tiny percentage of people it can create negative problems, and it's not a risk I want.

Any informed answers are much appreciated.

2. #2 alostsailor, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
    Marijuana is a natural plant and has absolutely no link to any form of psychosis, especially schizophrenia which is a genetic disorder that is carried over by several different genes. Although substances put into the soil where it was grown, or sprayed on the plant such as pesticides could cause major health problems but this is quite rare.
    There is absolutely no logical explanation why your brother cannot quit smoking cannabis as it is not addictive in any form. He just doesn't want to, as I've seen many people stop for long periods of time and even quit altogether.
    As for marijuana causing negative affects on people, this is absolutely true but only when the user does not use it responsibly. These affects are solely from the person themselves and in no way is the marijuana accountable as said person could have used any other substance. You simply must decide for yourself if marijuana is right for you. If you sit in a room all day, smoking marijuana by yourself- you'll most likely end up depressed.
    I know people who have been smoking 5-40 years. All of them are mentally and physically healthy, you've nothing to worry from smoking bud except the smoke harming your lungs, but any burned plant material is unhealthy to inhale and you can always vaporize or consume it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. "brother cannot quit smoking cannabis as it is not addictive in any form. He just doesn't want to", I agree with everything you said except that, he DOES want to quit thats the problem. Ive quit no problem on and off, but he literally has wanted to quit and tried to quit for a month and can't.

Nah that's bullshit, he probably gave it a couple days tops. Make him go a week without even seeing bud or a piece, he'll start losing interest

And although it's kind of mean, call him out for being a complete loser, cause that's what he sounds like. A 23 year old man who "can't quit cannabis" kind of pisses me off.

5. I've heard smoking it can activate dormant schizophrenia genes, or something like that, could be bullshit though. Why not google " link between mental illness and marijuana consumption" or something...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. #6 Grendelking, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
    In all fairness, quitting smoking cannabis can be difficult for a few days up to a week IMO. Your brother needs to find something to do to take his mind off the cannabis. Walking, biking, swimming...etc. Anything but hanging around friends that party and or smoke cannabis.
    I've been forced to quit many times and the first week is the hardest. I've even gone six years without smoking. Things come up that make you jones...a rock concert where people are smoking cannabis, a Cheech and Chong movie on TV, even a news story about a major pot bust can make someone jones for a puff or two. The longer you stay away from it, the easier it is to accept that you can't have it any more.
    Personally, I don't buy into the...causes psychosis...bit. Oftentimes, the mental illness was already there before the person started smoking.

7. #7 GratefulFred, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
    Since you said your brother  has issues is it possible that he is self-medicating with the cannabis?  Maybe that's why it's so hard to quit - it is actually serving some positive function.  Just a thought.  I'm not saying this is a reason for him to continue but something to consider.

Some do think weed can trigger mental issues but the evidence isn't all there.  It definitely can cause temporary "psychosis". (psychosis being any state of "lost of contact with reality")

If you're in a medical state and have access to high-CBD strains that's worth consideration as CBD is thought to have the opposite effect of THC.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/12/10/harvard-marijuana-doesnt-cause-schizophrenia/63148.html

9. #9 TokeRandir, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
    Similar to Ganja's post above, I've browsed through newer studies suggesting that schizophrenic individuals are more inclined to use marijuana rather than the earlier theories that marijuana use can cause the development of schizophrenia.
    I'm sorry to say that I lack links. It would be awesome if someone could pick up where I left off with some solid info.
    Edit:
    This is basically what that the study described. He's not schizophrenic from using cannabis, he uses cannabis because he's schizophrenic and it helps him manage his symptoms.

10. I believe there is a small percentage of people that are already prone to skitzo or other mental illnesses, and that using pot or any type of hallucinogen could bring those disorders out. Its possible with pot, but it is also very rare

11. I believe you can have drug induced psychosis. It's Not permanent but can temporarily have the symptoms of psychosis from say, smoking way way more than you can handle or using other unmentionables or alcohol. Weed isn't perfect it can mess with your head sometimes. Op I'm sure your brother will be absolutely fine once he gets his mind of it. Best of luck.

12. I think these people love weed to much to bash it but I'll tell you what's up
    you fears are true, if your shit is already broken, drugs are just gonna make it worse 
    I don't think it caused his problems but it probably made them a lot worse and there are many studies to back this up but I let you go to google for that 

13. Cannabis is not addictive in any way. If he cannot quit,that means he lacks the willpower. Its only as addictive as sex.
    Also as far as we know,it can't cause anything like that. As TokeRandir said,
    He is not schizophrenic from cannabis,he uses cannabis because he is schizophrenic.Cannabis is a heavy medicine.

14. I really don't think you will find a real answer here, check google.

15. He doesn't use cannabis because hes schizophrenic because for one he's not schizophrenic, not sure why people make assumptions, and two he uses cannabis just for the fun of it not because he has issues, pretty sure his roommates smoke though so that's probably why it's hard for him to quit.

16. #16 metallicamaniac, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
    People keep bringing up Schitzophrenia because you mentioned it in your op. All the research I've done says that marijuana may be able to trigger schitz in someone who is likely to contract it regardless. Aside from Schitzophrenia, I have read or heard of no other mental/psych disorders that can be triggered by marijuana. He may be having mental health problems, but if they're being caused by weed, they probably aren't clinical disorders.

Edit: What sort of mental problems is he having? I can't work my google-fu without more details ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum