Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed and memory?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by soundslikeboxer, Mar 8, 2012.

1. I'm pretty much an everyday toker but I've got some exams coming up tomorrow and had a thought. Does weed impact my memory/cognitive abilities if I smoke the night before my exam?

Haven't smoked today yet (I usually do) but with that thought in mind I'm wondering if not smoking tonight would help me out any with memory tomorrow? Or would it not matter because I usually smoke everyday anyway?

Particularly interested in any scientific studies if you guys know of any, I'm a bit of a nerd :cool:

My method for toking, if it matters, is vaping out of an MFLB.

2. Shouldnt be a big deal I seem to do better stoned real talk.

3. It depends if you understand the concept your studying i don't imagine you can forget it the next day, but if your just remembering facts and there's a bunch I wouldn't doubt it..

4. Weed and tests do not mix... thats the best advice I can give you

5. I've always been conflicted I felt like learning the material, you should be sober. You just retain info better when sober. Then before the test.. Blaze up, you perform better stoned :smoke:

6. If you smoke every day and then stop, it may take a night or two to get your sleep schedule back on. This is the only reason I would say not to stop. If the exams are more than a day or two away, doesn't hurt to take a break. I find my mind is usually a little clearer after a break.

7. #7 1sttimegrower, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
    Well I smoked so much last night that I couldn't fall asleep for a little while until the high calmed down and I got tired again. This morning I began to finally study for my bio quiz (also today) - First time looking at the material because I havn't had time to before.

Pretty sure I aced it.

IMO, I don't think smoking the night before will do anything to your performance, unless you are studying stoned. You go through a LOT less material and retain less if you study high - its the same as if you study in front of the TV. Distractions are distractions. Study sober, take the test sober, you'll be fine. Just don't toke up the day of the test until AFTER its done.

I would NOT smoke before the test. The couple times where I smoked earlier in the day, really with the same mindset you have, that it'll "calm" my test anxiety - I worked MUCH slower and barely finished the test. Might be each person's high will affect their test taking abilities differently, but in my experience I was slowed - better safe than sorry, IMO. If you don't finish you can't exactly tell your professor "Sorry, can I have 5 more minutes, being high and taking your test is somewhat difficult". BUT, if you actually have some severe test anxiety(like the severity where you basically KNOW the material, but fail the tests anyways because of overthinking questions and taking too much time, etc), I'd experiment with a tiny hit before an UNimportant test/quiz, see how it influences your performance.

Coachz is right with the interrupted sleep; I'd just vape as you normally would, at the normal times, as long as it doesn't coincide with studying. Better to get fully rested than be up half the night.

8. I'm I the only one that's short term memory gets really fucked off when they start a t break. I've only noticed memory loss from the first month or so of smoking, then it went back to normal. Now I have shit memory when I'm not smoking every day.

9. #9 Lovesmyreligion, Mar 8, 2012
    I personally think it does effect my short term memory, so I smoke a lot less since I've started college, however I've also been out of school for years, and before I didn't try hard in school and give it a full effort like I am now. Overall though I don't think it effects retaining knowledge, no doubt it effects studying though I personally think. I may change my mind on that eventually, but at least Indicas I believe are no good for learning much of anything text based, however all weed is great for expanding your outlook on life, honestly if I never blazed I'm not sure what type of conforming tool I would be. Anyways though, just me personally I don't do tests or school work blazed, I save bud for my free time. But some people really take tests seriously and freak out about them, I've always been chill and know whether I've covered enough and have the knowledge to pass or not, so maybe a strain of Sativas would be good for relaxing and doing a test. Either way don't over think anything, just go in there with confidence in your knowledge, the more you think about things the more you truly believe somethings wrong when there probably isn't.

10. #10 LevVygotsky, Mar 8, 2012
    Having majored in Psychology and all, I am going to have to disagree with this.

There is a phenomenon called state-depended learning. This means that if you studied for your exam in a certain mental state, you should also take that exam in the same mental state. i.e. if you study while high, take the exam high.

In your case I assume you studied sober but smoke on the regular. I would suggest you just stick to you're normal smoking routine, smoke up the night before and then again after the exam :smoke:.

LevV

EDIT:
    "State-dependent learning (state-dependent memory) is a notion that learning and recalling are based upon the physiological and mental state of the organism.

It has been very clearly demonstrated that things learned in one environment are best recalled when that environment is reinstated; and, moreover, this applies equally well to “internal” environments (or states) as it does to “external” environments."

straight from wikipedia

11. I toke daily from my vaporizer, college student full time... When it's time for exams and finals I study a few hours during the day then always toke up at night because it helps my sleep. I have not found my memory affected the next day at all personally.