Weed and Computer Programming

Discussion in 'General' started by Emblazened, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Hey GC,

I study computer science in college and have noticed that marijuana just goes incredibly well with the "programming mindset". It's fun to smoke bowls while working on a project, and I always look forward to learning more about the subject.

I have a couple of friends who also smoke weed and program and they all feel the same.

Do any of you guys work with programming languages as a hobby/in school/as a job? Do you feel the same?

:smoke:

2. i don't but i believe it would be awsome

3. I quitted my job a week ago, I'm a C# .net programmer and I only smoke AFTER work. If I'm stoned it just doesn't go as fast and I need to think everything over, plus I keep checking everything 10 times if its correct. Nah.. not for me :)

4. i haven't been very motivated with my java class this semester but the easier stuff is fun to write while smoking. so far in my comp sci experience (i'm a major, just started) i kind of just write and test, write and test, and when that final test happens when the program works perfectly, i wanna pump my fist and shout like the patriots just scored a touchdown lol. it sounds like you, OP, have more experience with programming than me, but i can see where you're coming from.

5. For Computer Programming, is it heavily or mildly associated with Math?

6. Understandable. There are times I get way too baked to even want to look at code. Why'd you quit your job?

I don't have a ton of experience and we do a lot of test code in my current software class. I know what you mean, when you finally get shit figured out you just want to yell about your victory.

One time a friend and I were working on some shit I couldn't figure out, I was like, "Wait, let me just try updating the UI..." Neither of us knew why, but it worked, and we shared an epic high-five.

Honestly, it's a lot more math than I expected. I added the CompSci major after studying History for two years and had to delve back into math classes that I thought I'd sworn off forever.

It's worth it though, and math isn't that difficult if you just force yourself to work with it. I used to be the kind of guy who would always just think "I hate math" or "I'm not good at math" but if you have a good attitude, you can head into a tough math class and figure out what's going on.

7. #7 TyLaw, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
    in my basic experience the hardest math in my programming classes have been writing quadratic equations for, say, the parabolic trajectory of the sun rising in an animation. however, my calc class is royally f***ing me left and right, it's so hard lol. i admittedly have not been working very hard this semester though so that's a factor.

8. I'm in networking and it goes very well with computers in general. I seem to always go more in depth to what the problem is and find a good solution to it.

9. Weed can be a boon provided its guiding you to the right path.weed also enables a person to think more so it also goes in programming.but whn u r playing with array,list,functions i suggest to be rather fresh minded thn stonned.coz it will take more tym to play around with variables.

whn it comes to logical part hv weed u will get bigger ideas and solution to approach.it also delivers patience which is worth 4 coding.always keeps a person +ve and let u jump in ur loved domain.

10. I program high all the time. I'll be gettin lifted, then I'll realize I have something to program.

I'll just do it. It's actually kinda interesting; you make more connections between previously irrelevant things. It makes you come up with ideas to make your work easier. It makes you focus. Everything is less stressful and daunting. Write this new feature today, no problem!

Weed ultimately taught me if writing something was taking too long, I'm doing it wrong or my test data is broken.

11. I mean, I went through Calculus 1,2, & 3 stoned for the most part (A's in university), so I assume one can handle programming high so long as they have the right attitude. If you want to get things done, you set out to get it done- it's all in the mindset. It didn't make me 'think' differently though; for my scenario, I just practiced a lot or problems. 

12. i dont think i can do coding while getting high. i just cant remember anything when i do lol.

13. Coding fits together well, it is the calculus you will wonder wtf. like this stuff until I found this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubYbYbJOsNs

14. #14 bomatt4, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014

I'm a computer programmer student also, and a daily smoker. I have fun with programming too, I feel more motivated to seek answers when smoking weed.

15. I'm a computer science major as well. Getting stoned and programming java is pretty fun, databases like SQL suck tho. At least for me

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. I used to work at a place that did that and all you were see were a ton of codes on the screen. I was like how in the heck is this comprehensible??? I know everyone can't do it, but it takes a certain mindset to do it.

17. I'm not a programmer, however I wanted to say my teacher used to say "If you are an expert at your craft you can do it while you are drunk," I think it applies to weed as well.

Also How High's philosophy "Take the tests high, get high scores."

So I think everything can be done well while high. However I would never get high in a work place. Working on stuff like that at home, it's great.

18. Haha I work with sql, its pretty simple compared to other languages. I would've liked to go more of a cs route but that's just to much math for me.

19. Maybe it just sucks because I'm learning it side by side with other languages.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. Probably, its hard to learn multiple languages at once especially if you're more interested in one over the other. I've always just found the syntax in sql to be pretty straightforward compared to java or c.