Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed almost twice as harmful as tobacco

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by iSmokePurps, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Apparently we're all going to have lung problems by the time we are 40.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080123104017.htm
    Thoughts on the study?
    How many of you hold your hits in like this?

2. #2 Weedity, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
    if this were true everything about marijuana would be different.

It would not be popular medically like it is today.

Stoners would ACTUALLY have lung issues.

Etc. 

This is pathetic. Plus I never "hold" my hits in, and I use a vape! 

3. I call bullshit.

4. This actually makes me want to start vaping.

5. here is the study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18197922

it was done on people that were age 30-50 (it says 41 +- 9 years, so in that range), it does not say whether or not these people also smoke tobacco, just that they have been "chronic users" of cannabis for ">1 year" which is in no way a controlled experiment, some of them could have smoked for 13 months, and some for 30 years.... it then says the results of the 10 (yes, only 10 fucking subjects) were as follows..

4 expressed dyspnoea, aka shortness of breath
    4 expressed pneumothorax, air pockets in the lungs that may or may not inhibit normal breathing, it has 2 forms, one which isnt a disease and isnt much of a problem, and one that comes from a pre-existing disease
    2 expressed chest infections, which is common in every single human being on earth, smokers or not

always research what you read..... it took me all of 10 mins to find this info

6. That article was posted in 2008.

#RedEyeClub

7. ^ this is pretty much what I was going to say, these types of studies are always very flawed, usually with sample fields.  Besides most people don't hold hits as long as possible, and there is always going to be extenuating circumstances that the researchers usually don't take into account.

8. I couldn't find the study on a federal site, sorry :/

Isn't smoking a little harmful since you are inhaling stuff in your lungs? I still feel like switching to vape now.

I posted the study on a government site lol, its a junk study, no actual info, not enough test subjects, inconclusive results

NCBI did the study, its government funded bullshit

10. If you clamp down and hold your hits in "hard" for as long as you can, you can damage your lungs and more! :eek:

“Usual" cannabis abuse producing an unusual incident        (abst – 2007)    
    (The Valsalva maneuver is performed by attempting to forcibly exhale while keeping the mouth and nose closed.  Don't do it!)         http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17342632

What is even worse, it that toking like that DOES NOT GET YOU HIGHER- except from oxygen deprivation! Your lungs are remarkably efficient! Think how well they do at grabbing oxygen... a second is all it takes! THC is the same- it slips right into your lungs and then into your blood. They did some fairly early studies on "breath-hold" as a function of getting higher. Guess what?  Longer "breath-hold" didn't make any difference in the high!

Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke.       (abst - 1989)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2554344?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

"Typical marijuana effects (increased heart rate, increased ratings of "high" and impaired memory performance) were observed under each of the breathhold conditions, but there was little evidence that response to marijuana was a function of breathhold duration."

Response to marijuana as a function of potency and breathhold duration        (abst - 1991)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2027922?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

"The results confirm previous findings that prolonged breathholding does not substantially enhance the effects of inhaled marijuana smoke."

If you are clamping down when you toke, STOP! All you are doing is wrecking your lungs, and depriving your brain of oxygen! A vaporizer would be an even better way of using- no combustion products, or smoke particles, to injure your lungs! :yay:

Granny

11. It's been 5 YEARS since this study was published, I think if it had ANY credibility whatsoever we would still be hearing about it now.

12. I down right don't believe that weed is more harmful than cigarettes.

I do however believe the longer you hold the hit in, the worse it is for you.

I normally hold it for two-three seconds, then out it goes. 

13. I stopped smoking MONTHS ago, i sold all my pieces too so I didnt have a way to smoke. Ive been strictly vaping since. I used to get bronchitis alot and i guess there is a correlation between daily use of MJ and bronchitis. I actually prefer it at this point, IMHO the only thing I see as a con is the time you need to have to heat up the vaporizer before you use it, but once you get a routine down its so much better!

14. The article was created in 2008, you might as well scribble everything out in that heap of lies

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

The taste is so much better too..I love vaping. I get stoned as hell off mine.

While the article is a piece of junk, you cant just say "oh its x years old, and is therefore irrelevant", it totally is in this case, i agree, but, your argument is based on its age, not its info, which is not how it works. Not all information needs to be new to be correct lol

look at the stuff granny posted, which has good sourcing, and is good info, its 6 years old, and then one from 1989.....

17. No no I saw it an you're right.
    What I meant was I couldn't find it on my own.

oh i know i was just letting you know i found it so you could read it haha

19. I feel like I have become a taste connoissuer since vaping haha. I have actually talked about hints of citrus and pine lmao. That might be the high taking over but I LOVE the tastes from different strains!

20. Hmm I feel like smoking weed is like making tea. After 2-3 seconds something like 90% of THC is absorbed by the lungs maybe? I know it's not substantial but it does, in theory, get you a *little* higher even if barely noticeable.
    Having said that, I do agree its pointless, and I always hold my hits for 2-3 seconds.