Webcam In Growroom?

Discussion in 'General' started by mister2, Dec 24, 2006.

1. I have this massive usb cable that I was thinking of using to put a webcam in my growroom with? I have like some remote access thing on my comp (wich is on the net 24/7) so I can access it from ANYWHHERE (mainly my GF's).
    2 questions:
    1... Is there a way I can view the webcam at home while on the internet without showing the WWW?
    2... Is there a way I can make it private so that only I can view it via remote access without the WWW being able to see it if they wanted?

Thanks In advance for any advice

(sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm absolutely blazed for the 1st time in weeks!:smoking:

2. sounds like a dope idea, but i mean the camera would have to be pretty damn good, i duno if a webcam would cut it, i mean...you'd have to see close ups n shit to see what color the leafs are, if there any bugs, or malnutritions on the crops, if that what your doin this for, to check on the plants ( i duno why else you would do it )
    but at the end of the day i really dont know how safe this is, like i said, neat idea tho.

3. There are many webcam program that will let you share the cam stream via the internet. Most of them should have the ability to add security such as a login upon accessing it. If your using a router you will have to forward the webcam's port to your pc; for it to work remotely.

4. I honestly question the tracability (is that even a word?) of this. I'd check into that.

5. Download WebcamXP. Best program I've found so far. :cool:

6. id have it close to the plants showing the tops of them, for inspection, but mainly for me to not have to go in there and open the door 30 times a day lol

thanks for the info

Thats why i havent done it yet

hey dewd you know a lot about computers, is there a way i can make it untraceable?

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming

7. As long as you set it up to only allow people that you authorize to view it, such as yourself away from home by setting up a user name to log in or something, theres no need to make it untraceable. People won't be able to see what on the webcam, so there would be no need or reason to trace it. I doubt anyone would bother to trace it unless you had a camera on a multi-million dollar grow op. Even then, they can't trace it directly to your house or address, only to whoever your ISP is and the switching station closest to your house. When you trace my IP it comes up to a city a few miles away from me. Even then, the police, DEA, FBI, or whoever is coming to arrest you has to get a warrent to access the records of the internet provider to get your address.

Edit: 200th post

8. ive never heard of someone using a proxy server for a webcam, but it might work and that would make it harder to trace, you should look it up

9. thanks for the help dewds, ill get it setup asap.
    would it be worth me masking my IP address?

10. You could use pcAnywhere to access your remote computer using pcAnywhere encoding, symmetric encryption or public key encryption. I use this program every day for work.

In fact with pcAnywhere there is no need for streaming anything over the internet. The web cam feed will only reside on your LAN.