Weak genetics or am I killing them?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Pasta88, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Hi guys, first time poster here. I grew for my first time last year, two green Crack plants from clones with reasonable first time success. This year I decided to start from seed, and purchased a pack of Jack Herer seeds and Blue Cookies. BC was from Crop King, and JH is from Sunwest Genetics. The JH plants are all off to a good start, germination was somewhat slow compared to the blue cookies, but they are all doing well this far, although it is quite early yet. The Blue Cookies however, I had three seeds successfully germinate, planted them the same way as the JH, same soil and all. One has managed to get about 1.5" tall and was looking excellent, but now is turning brown and looking sad. One sprouted about an inch, just the first leaves open, and then died, and my third one is following the same path as the second. The leaves are out and visible, but not really opening, and has looked exactly the same for three days now. I'm trying not to dote on them too much, but wondering what I could be doing wrong to lose three of the same plant. They are in red Solo cups, planted in Kryptonite soil, watering only when the soil feels dry an inch below the surface. They have been in my greenhouse, which is kept between 25-30° C through the day, and 10-18 at night, depending on the weather. I brought them in the house yesterday in hopes of saving them, but doubt this would have made any difference. Any input would be hugely appreciated.

2. Pics would for sure help us out..............with tryin to help you out.......more detailed info wouldn't hurt either.........do the Solo cups have drainage holes...........what is your current light schedule........

As far as temps go........I live in Florida.........so my grow room hardly EVER..............basically NEVER gets to 10C............not saying that that IS TOO COLD.........but might be a factor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Well I know NOTHING about that soil..........but HOLY SHIT does it look dense as fuk!!!

4. Seedlings don’t need full direct light. if you have them outside in full sun for 16 hours a day that’s way too much for them.

5. I respectfully disagree........seedlings may not necessarily "need all that light".........but i don't think it hurts them either.............depending on what part of the world you are in.........and when the seed is "dropped" or "planted" there are MANY places that can and do expose seedlings to that much light...........

• Like Like x 1
  6. Looks like a humidity issue. Roots arent formed properly at that stage so the drink the moisture in air.

7. i put my seedlings under light as soon as i see it break through the surface of the potting mix and cotyledons open ,,mac,
    PS you soil.potting mix needs some perilte added to it around 25%-30% perlite to 75%-70% potting mix it; help with drainage and help the roots from getting waterlogged

8. So should these just get a misting as opposed to watering?

9. How much SHOULD they have when starting off?

10. How much light??? IMO, as much as they can get............

11. It's a weed, in it's natural state the seedlings come up in full sunlight and it's how they do best. The problems come from moving seedlings from a lower light level into full sunlight without being hardened off.

12. I’ve always sheltered seedlings. I germinate in soil in small cups and cover them with cellophane till they start getting leggy and then uncover. After they get a couple sets of leaves I’ll then start giving them full sun.

I do it this way because it’s simple and my success rate is pretty good going from seed to mature plant. I start plenty of plants from seed straight in the ground where I want them to grow (vegetable garden, flowers, etc), but something expensive like seeds from a seed bank I don’t want to take any chances with potentially losing.

13. Had my tomato seedlings outside on the table since they sprouted. Look good to me