Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

We need to talk

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Zula, May 2, 2013.

1. I'll keep this as brief as possible.

I previously made a thread about my Grandmother discovering that I've been smoking. If you need background info, that thread is still up.

But anyways, I've been smoking outside in the backyard for the past week. Everything was fine till, once again, she questioned me. "Why've you been going straight to the backroom when you get home?"

I ignored her. It was a stupid question anyways, and I don't see what difference it makes whether I stay in my room, go in the basement, or go to the yard. Who cares? So she's been up my ass about this for the last couple days, and I'm tired of it.

I'm being respectful by not doing it in the house. I just want to unwind at the end of the night once I get off work, is that so difficult to understand? I work full time, go to school, and I've been under so much stress lately that smoking once I get off work is the little thing I look forward to.

I've decided that I'm going to talk to her about it tonight. I just don't know what to say. I'm sick of sneaking around like a child and being evasive about the issue.

Any advice?

2. Go check out granny's list and use the many links there to prove cannabis isn't all that harmful and just have a calm, adult discussion with your grandmother.

3. 1. Tell her to "shut the fuck up" and "get the fuck out of my house, bitch."

2. Get her high through edibles, and she'll finally understand.

3. Smoke in your car.

4. Quit smoking.

4. Granny's list is cool and all, but there's a catch:

Weed is still illegal.

5. ^People break the law all the time mang. You know the saying.

6. I do not...

7. Bingo.

8. #8 iCheif, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
    I would say exactly that.......

"I'm being respectful by not doing it in the house. I just want to unwind at the end of the night once I get off work, is that so difficult to understand? I work full time, go to school, and I've been under so much stress lately that smoking once I get off work is the little thing I look forward to."

Your workin and goin to school full-time....nobody should question you unless they just dont like smoking in their house. Say.....As long as its not affecting your school and work etc...it shouldnt be a problem. It beats goin out and drinkin to unwind....Ask her would she rather have you drink like 2-3 beers drive home from a friends or bar......or just smoke a joint outside the house, w no driving or nuthin. But then again you did say it was your grandmother....she might be old fashioned and be completely clueless about how its not that bad anymore. She prolly thinks weed is the devil lol

9. Being upfront is the best thing you can do. Respect goes a looooong way when it comes this subject! Be honest w your gma about how you feel about it and yes like stated above use grannys list to prove your point.

Your right she prolly won't suddenly change her outlook on cannabis in one talk. She grew up w weed having some serious negative stigma attached. Hell maybe durring the original reefer madness lol.

And again your right sparks will prolly fly for a couple days but stay strong and respectful and things will get better. She might not approve of your smoking but she might learn to overlook it if you stay responsible and productive all while blazing!! Lol

I was upfront w my folks when I was 15 and the best choice I've ever made. I go out to the backyard whenever I'm at their house and slip back no questions asked.... but they know lol they know

10. I really appreciate the advice guys. I'll report back and tell how the talk went.

Wish me luck, lol :)

11. For sure! Interested to hear how it turns out

12. #12 Zula, May 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2013
    **UPDATE**

I decided to have the talk with my grandmother tonight. Last night just didn't seem right so I'm glad I waited till now. I simply asked if she was going to sleep early tonight and that I wanted to talk to her. She said fine, after she watched the news.

So around 11:30, she called my cellphone and asked if I still wanted to talk, so I headed upstairs to her room. I even took the time to jot down notes so I'd get everything I wanted to say out, but I wound up not reading any of it and just improvised.

We were both in her bedroom, I stood while she was laying on the bed watching TV. She turned it down, and I proceeded. First I apologized for the way I've been acting lately. We've been having a lot of conflict as of late because of her overbearing tendencies, and I took out my frustration and anger out on her as well as other people in my life. There have been times in my life where I was very dependent on others. In 2010, I went through a terrible depression. I had no job, wasn't in school, had no plan for my life. I would sleep on the couch for over 12 hours a day, only getting up to eat and use the restroom. I'm so ashamed of that period in my life, and that is why it makes me so angry when I'm treated like a child or forced to be dependent on my family. I'm in a good place now where I do for myself, and I never want to go back to that. I cannot go back to that.

So enough of my sob story. I apologized for being disrespectful to her, saying things I shouldn't have said. After the apology, I began to get into apologizing for smoking in the house, and that eventually led to us having a conversation about me smoking.

I was very mature about it, telling her straight out the reasons I use marijuana: relieves stress, helps me sleep, it's enjoyable to me. I also explained to her that because she is older and I have become an adult, the things I do cause a conflict between us. It's hard for a parent or family member to see their little girl or little boy become an adult and make adult decisions. But as an adult, I am aloud to make my own decisions, and I just would appreciate it if you would respect that as long as it doesn't affect you, me negatively, or your household. She asked me if I've smoked since the incident (her noticing the smell coming from the basement) and I admitted that I have. I was very honest with her about everything. All she really said, for the most part, is she just doesn't like it. I even asked her specifically what she didn't like, but she couldn't give me an answer. I tried comparing it to my Mother, who drinks. How I don't personally like alcohol, or the fact that she drinks, but I still respect her decision to do so, without questioning why she does so, and continue to allow her to make that choice because she is an adult. She didn't dispute my argument at all to be honest :D

So the conversation ended with me apologizing again for smoking in the house, but asking her to understand that I am allowed to make my own decisions as long as it's not in her home. She didn't agree or disagree. She simply said she doesn't like it, but has never told me to not smoke, or forbid me to do so, so it's a bit confusing. I thought it was way too pushy to ask, "Well, I'm going to smoke outside, so is that fine?" I figured I'll bring it up again in a few days, maybe longer. She mentioned that my Mom and Aunt want to discuss the issue with me (and maybe some other things, who knows....) so I'll be expecting another convo in the very near future. But for now, I'm just glad I was mature about it and put my foot down in a way. Nothing was left unsaid, and we ended the convo on a good note. She didn't seem angry or disappointed, just neutral so I'm not sure where to go from here, but I'll figure it out I guess :)

I'll update whenever this Mom/Aunt convo goes down. If I could get through to granny, I can get through to them without a problem (especially since my Mother admitted to using marijuana "not too long ago." Hypocrites, I tell ya lol)

13. Awesome man! Yea def. give another update, hope it goes as smooth as granny :hello:

14. Thanks, I hope so too! But we shall see ;)

15. Good job. It takes guts to sit down with someone who is blatantly against it and tell them why you do it. But it sounds like you were very smart in the way you approached it.

16. Boom nice job! Congrats!

17. "Hey grandma, I'm about to burn a bowl in the backyard.
    Wanna match?"

Maybe she's just jealous :confused_2:

18. * Grandma pulls off seat cushion of wheelchair which turns out to be a pound of Dro*

19. I wouldn't even bring it up again dude, except maybe the smoking outside. If she didn't tell you not to or anything like that it most likely means it is a if I don't see it, it didn't happen. That's how it is with my Mom, I don't live at home but she knows I smoke daily and she does not care as long as my bongs not out when's she's over.

20. Umm if it's your house you can have the bong out whenever the hell you want and mom has to deal with it. Your house your rules.

Op: congrats on what I would see as a successful start in this new life of not having to hide what you do! Maybe one day you could get her to try something after she sees how well you keep it together. Hell, she's old...she's gotta have SOMETHING that our favorite plant could help her with...