We are one.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Digit, Jul 16, 2004.

1. a big dysfunctional family?

but no, I know people treat other people terribly but what can you really do, you can't them to play nicely with each other or anything.

2. seperation is the path to destruction.

3. So it's all masturbation? lol

EDIT: Oh yeah. We are one. :D

4. heh, yep, when ya streatch it out far enough... seeing from the one energy string of which we are all part off... yeah, it's all "a handfull of joy". :D

5. What if we are zero? Or if everything altogether is zero?
    What if we are infinity? Or if everything altogether is infinity?
    Same as being "one"? I dunno :)

6. If we are one, then who's numba two?

7. :)

yeps.

8. he's doctor evils right hand man.

9. i dont like how people try to come up with witty little quotes. we are not one. i am one. you are one. every mind is one mind. all of our minds dont make up one big mind. you need to realize that WE ARE NOT ONE. and that the fact that you have a brain and concious and body...thats just as much of a miracle as a star, or a galaxy, or the universe. Your mind is more important than anything, cuz without that mind, you are nothing. and we may all be one...in your eyes...but if you die today...the rest of us will still be "one"...and you will be dead. 1 person will be dead. and you will no longer be apart of us.."we" you'll be you, but dead. then what are you? will you say to all the ghosts walking the earth at that time "we are one"

give yourself more credit. it takes the actions of a single person to create a societal ripple. create the ripple.

1 head is good, 2 heads are better than one, but take 10,000 heads and put them in a room and you have chaos. if we were one...we wouldnt have war. word, im out.

10. We are like the number zero, nothing at all, but without us, everything else would be useless.

11. We are all one, one being the essence of the cosmos, the universal awareness. Our so called "intelligence" , our state of being "self-aware", is nothing more than our slightly evolved brain's ability to have an awareness grafted on to it. Jung, Buddha, they were all right; The collective unconscious is nothing more than awareness without material boundaries, the boundary being the flesh on our bodies and the fat in our heads. This is God, this is the Buddha, this is him in us, yet at the same time we are without him(it). You could say we lost the ability to comprehend this, but that would insinuate that we shared some sort of existence prior to this, which is absurd. We are gifted by our understanding, yet limited by how much it blinds and deceives us.

This is why we take drugs.

This is why LSD, Cannabis, Psilocybin, DMT, and a host of other chemicals are so attractive to us. We like feeling different. We like losing our awareness of ourselves, becoming one with the Universe. But why should this be so? Is not every other animal content with it's existence? Do we unconsciously remember something, a memory, a wisp, do we all share a cosmic nostalgia for returning to whatever state we occupied before we took over these corporeal meat bags? Believing so is crazy, but not believing is even more so.

12. Yawning@this thread. Waiting for Jonathan Livingtson Seagull to make an appearance. :D

13. Wait a second. i dont really understand you. are you saying that...

you talk about animals being content with their existance...but you can't speak for an animal...i dont think cows are content with their existance in a meat grinder...im sure that cow does not wanna get hit with a club....

and, you are saying...that, we as a people do things like drugs to take us out of our mind...but really, isnt it the state of euphoria that your longing for when you take the drug?

and, you hint on a memory or wisp...when you say that, are you claiming that the human mind is subconsiously remembering things that took place at a different time? different planet? or what?

cuz i kinda get what your saying, or what your trying to get across, but what im not following is the, we are one.

14. 1. A cow obviously doesn't have the intelligence necessary to comprehend the culmination of a series of events. A cow is also content, or for lack of a better word, stupid enough to do nothing more to better its own existence than to move over a few feet towards a new patch of grass! Instinct is what we call the will to carry on genes, which is why I don't believe that a cow would be too happy being made into a hamburger.

2. Euphoria? From DMT? From Salvia? Have you ever had the opportunity to try these substances before? There are a lot of things that people do, and people are the only animals on the face of the earth that would repeatedly do something unpleasant to their selves for any reason other than protection of it's genetics (or in some cases, it's life).

3. Read Jung.

I don't really have the will or the want to argue these points, as I really don't know what I'm trying to get across if you don't understand what I meant already. I just wanted to share a little world view with some fellow GCers, and I hope that someone might understand a little bit better :)

15. oh really
    so impetious, arrogant and self assured... know many cows do you? ......

16. Quote- There are a lot of things that people do, and people are the only animals on the face of the earth that would repeatedly do something unpleasant to their selves for any reason other than protection of it's genetics (or in some cases, it's life).

Just a wee disagreement with that statement there. Many species have their own way of getting regularly high or drunk. Elephants, birds, cows, various apes, etc, get drunk as often as they can by eating old fermenting fruit - and are happy to suffer the same bad hangovers that we can get in the process. The use of stimulants is common in the animal world.

The idea that animals only respond to their environments and don't think in the way that humans do is provably wrong for many species. Parrots, primates, cats, dogs, etc, etc, can show pre-planning of actions, free will, deceit, shame, sadness and, in the case of dolphins at least, will have sex purely for the hell of it rather than doing it for the sole aim of procreation. We are no better nor worse than them, and the differences between our minds and theirs may be far fewer than we can imagine.

MelT

17. We are all unique individuals, just like everyone else.:D

18. Exactly!:)

MelT

19. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Parrot's oratory stuns scientists

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=416 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom>By Alex Kirby
    BBC News Online environment correspondent
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[​IMG]

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG] Feathered prodigy: N'kisi leads the field

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The finding of a parrot with an almost unparalleled power to communicate with people has brought scientists up short.
    The bird, a captive African grey called N'kisi, has a vocabulary of 950 words, and shows signs of a sense of humour.
    He invents his own words and phrases if he is confronted with novel ideas with which his existing repertoire cannot cope - just as a human child would do.
    N'kisi's remarkable abilities feature in the latest BBC Wildlife Magazine.
    N'kisi is believed to be one of the most advanced users of human language in the animal world.
    About 100 words are needed for half of all reading in English, so if N'kisi could read he would be able to cope with a wide range of material.
    Polished wordsmith
    He uses words in context, with past, present and future tenses, and is often inventive.
    One N'kisi-ism was "flied" for "flew", and another "pretty smell medicine" to describe the aromatherapy oils used by his owner, an artist based in New York.
    When he first met Dr Jane Goodall, the renowned chimpanzee expert, after seeing her in a picture with apes, N'kisi said: "Got a chimp?"
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG] School's in: He is a willing learner

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>He appears to fancy himself as a humourist. When another parrot hung upside down from its perch, he commented: "You got to put this bird on the camera."
    Dr Goodall says N'kisi's verbal fireworks are an "outstanding example of interspecies communication".
    In an experiment, the bird and his owner were put in separate rooms and filmed as the artist opened random envelopes containing picture cards.
    Analysis showed the parrot had used appropriate keywords three times more often than would be likely by chance.
    Captives' frustrations
    This was despite the researchers discounting responses like "What ya doing on the phone?" when N'kisi saw a card of a man with a telephone, and "Can I give you a hug?" with one of a couple embracing.
    Professor Donald Broom, of the University of Cambridge's School of Veterinary Medicine, said: "The more we look at the cognitive abilities of animals, the more advanced they appear, and the biggest leap of all has been with parrots."
    Alison Hales, of the World Parrot Trust, told BBC News Online: "N'kisi's amazing vocabulary and sense of humour should make everyone who has a pet parrot consider whether they are meeting its needs. "They may not be able to ask directly, but parrots are long-lived, and a bit of research now could mean an improved quality of life for years." All images courtesy and copyright of Grace Roselli.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>