Wattage

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Flanigan, Sep 1, 2019.

1. I'm wanting to know if 60 watts hps will work great for a 5 square footage area? That's 60 watts square feet. I have enough Cooling and all that air flow.. so that's my question and also my question is one 400 watt dim down to 300 or 600 watt down then down to 300 or two 150 watt lights?

Sent from my 5041C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I raised 6 plants in a 4x4 with a 600w hps no problem.

What's your plan? I kept it at 100% pretty much from sprout

Sent from my KING_KONG_3 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. I only have 5 square footage so 300 would be 60watts a square foot and I believe 65 would be optimal

4. You should be just fine with that ...:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. This would give you more even coverage than a single light in the center would...

6. Nevermind. Didn't read the post carefully. You're right in the sweet spot for HPS. 50-70 is the range.

7. HPS lights have a gradient of efficiency levels. That technology has to burn hot to get to it's optimal efficiency levels. You also don't want to run them dimmed below the rating of the bulb longer term beyond the hottest part of the day or it can mess up the light spectrum output.

600 watts are the most efficient hps with about 160 lumens per watt.

1000 watt hps are lower efficiency at about 140 lumens per watt.

400's are also 140 lumens per watt .

250's are about 112 lumens per watt.

150's are about 90-100 lumens per watt.

So, never go with 150's over a larger HPS light. They're almost half as efficient as 600's. They are less efficient then T5HO's.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I also believe I should but thanks because it's always better to have a second opinion

9. Personally I know I can still produce but 300 in 50square feet or 1/2 square meter is great so I think I can rock the area

10. Thanks because I have a 150 but thinking 2 so was going to get another instead I'll get 600 plus both buls come with and I have 150 metal halide but don't work right with my hps ballast so no trying lol and thanks again. some people almost full house are assholes but most are great so thank you again

• Like Like x 1