Wattage advice

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bmanz21, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Hey everyone. Long time reader on the site, have been searching around for a while on here preparing to set up a room. I'm working with a room 3.5' x 5.5' x 7'. Would a 600w hps be overkill? Or will a 400 watt do the trick? Any advice is appreciated as always. Thanks for your time.

2. 600w HPS does 1 sq. yard or sq. meter really good, your height is 7', thats very useful for the several reasons you may want to adjust the height.
    However it's a rectangular shape, real trick here is to lay the light as to cover as much of the rectangular floor area as possible, use a small to medium shade and don't forget to extract that heat.
    See yourself as a soldier with your main weapon a 600w HPS followed up with a T5 rack, even a cfl(ghetto blaster) as your side arm....lol

peace
    "V"

3. Haha thanks for the response V. I just didn't wanna try and fit 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag if that makes any sense. Looks like ill go 600

4. I honestly dont even think 1000w would be overkill for that size space. Especially considering the height. Definitely at least 600, and some supplemental as mentioned. Putting a 600 and 4x 54w t5, maybe one vertically in each corner, or a square around the hood, would let you spread the extra wattage around though.

5. I've seen a 5'x2x5 with a 600w do wonderful. If you can beat the heat. You got it made.