watering with biodegradable dishsoap

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by untamedlion33, Mar 4, 2011.

1. is it true that biodegradable dish soap makes the water wetter and allows more of the nutrients to absorb into the roots? how much of it would you use?

2. surely someone out there has heard of and tried this

3. google it. tons of info.

i used it because my soil was not soaking up the water as fast as i wanted it to. plus it drowned all the gnats.

4. how much do you use?

5. i jus' put some in the feed water...idunno...like a tbsp to a gal...?

6. bump. interesting.

7. thanks hun. this helps alot.

8. i didnt use fancy biodegradable stuff.

i think it was palmolive or ajax.:eek: dawn is supposed to be best.

9. NO,NO,NO..........A tablespoon :eek: That would probably kill your plants!
    One drop per gallon is plenty.
    The soap breaks the surface tension of the water allowing it to be better absorbed by the soil.
    peace B

10. i wasnt using it only for water tension.

11. ^^^^^^THAT^^^^^^

A drop or 2 is all that's needed and not every time either.

Wet

12. i tried it with a tsp like the first girl suggested it dos'nt seem to hurt the plants at all. but im sure your also correct not every time may be sound advice as well. so far im under the impression you rely have to try to kill your plants. they are quite hardy.

13. except when ya got ventilation issues.

14. Lemmings lol.

Refridgerator remedies = shit weed.

U must all read up on soil microbiology, and discover
    how much u are screwing it up.

Honest.

Freak
    :smoke:

15. Maybe instead of saying they are wrong you could actually explain why they are wrong. Coming in here and making a post like this isn't very constructive towards the topic at hand, neither is a generalized statement like "read up on soil microbiology". This is the absolute beginners section after all....and its not like this is a question that gets asked everyday unlike all of the "I wanna grow but don't know how, what do I do?" threads....

16. OK. I really dont mean to be rude here at all.

C'mon - dishsoap in the soil :confused:. Even biodegradeable, it doesnt matter.

Our plants rely on the beneficial microorganizmz to turn organic matter (food)
    into an easily and readily absorbed material.

The ingredients in any soap - even biodegradeable kill off these microorganizmz.

Take the time to properly care for your plants. Its an investment, if u will...
    And I did leave some useful hints.
    It wuz somethin about doin some research on soil microbiology lol.

Freak

17. #17 untamedlion33, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
    its because of my reaserch that i know dish soap does virtually nothing harmfull to the microbiology of the soil. what it does is chemically reacts to the water molecules and makes it easier for the roots of the plant to absorb alot more water as wells nutrients. this naturally allows the plants to release more sugars which feed the micro orgasms (who are also able to absorb more nutrients and sugars) whom of which produce more nutrients, and thus the cycle continues. also dish soap (bio degradable, dawn is almost always used) was used to clean up many oil spills because of its safety to wild life and sensitive animals such as coral, or plankton. both of which share a very similar level of sensitivity to there environment as wells body structure altogether... how do you think they cleaned up the BP oil spill and managed to save some of the coral reefs. on an oil spill sight they scrub everything with dish soap (see a dawn commercial or newspaper) every dirty animal, every rock on the beach, every log, EVERYTHING!!!!. it does the same thing when you wash your dishes. it makes the water more viscus so that water molecules can more easy to penetrate the stain in say a plate or glass. this penetration makes it so tough stains can be lifted away. its not the soap that cleans its the effects the chemicals have the on the water that make stuff clean. it does the same thing as your skin. if you use a certain lotion (dosnt matter what kind) and later take a shower with dishsoap it has been found that approx 45% more of the chemicals in that lotion will penetrate into the blood stream then if you just rinsed the lotion off. naturally with weed its often a good idea to avoid antibacterial or scented dish soap because of the added chemicals that do bring harm to the soil. on a side note, if coral can survive it anything can survive it, they are creatures that are highly sensitive to almost anything and die very easily. perhaps it is you who needs to do some research.

18. made me lol

19. All youve researched is how wet it can make water. All your research is true, but you keep missing the point...

Aside from all the water surface tension, and the fact that it doesnt hurt any wildlife,
    you have to look inside of the box, rather than outside of the box, to get the big picture.

Youre not doin that. Microorganisms are not like any large animal that is covered in oil.

Im tryin to steer you the right way - why would you act belligerantly to it.

PS. Coral is in a totally different ecosystem than soil, and they dont relate.

My research skills are second to none here at GC as you will find out, if you
    do some research and read the stickies.

Good luck.

Freak

20. The Absolute beginners forum is designed to teach new growers
    the basics of growing weed.

Its also the 1 forum where information should be as accurate and
    as helpful as possible.

Its not a place to be passing on bad habits and wrong techniques
    to new growers.

Therefore, neg rep to you unta.

Freak