watering seedlings

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by infiniteawesome, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Yo guys, anyways got a quick question.

I germed five seeds in a paper towel in a small ziploc bag. They all sprouted shoots, so I put them all in tiny square jiffy pots and filled them with ph neutral (7.0), 0-0-0 nutrientless soil and watered them from the bottom with a couple squirts from an eye dropper with reverse osmosis ph 6.5 water. How often and how much should I water them in the earlier days of their life? I've heard i'm not to let the seedlings dry out but to not overwater as well. What is too often/too little? Thanks for the time and info guys.

2. HIGH All, right on watering from the bottom..Kudo's to you. Ever see a little seeder get watered from top...the water Almost lifts the little gaffer out of the soil.

It depends on your soil...it's best to let them dry out first then water....what we do is the lift test...if the pot weight is light...water...if heavy wait till it feels light...make cents?

3. yes, thanks alot unoit! oh, btw, i eventually plan to put them into plastic party cups with drain holes and it at the bottom for easier removal (probably with a coffee filter at the bottom of the cup for the roots to grow through) with a very small amount of nutes (thinking 1/6 of the cup is worm casting, rest neutral organic soil and pearlite) with maybe a tiny touch of nitrogen high bat guano. Does this mixture sound good to any of you?

4. I am using the same things as you - organic soil, bat guano, and worm castings -

but I'm not going to do any ferts until they're at least 2 weeks old.

After seeing all the "HELP ME MY PLANTS ARE DIEING!" threads about just slight over ferting, I'm too afraid to give any to these little guys. If they keep growing as fast as they are, they'll be a decent size to safely accept some nutrients in another week.