Watering questions!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by WeedManBryce777, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Is it ok to water the leaves directly with a spray bottle?

2. really not necessary. usually used to foliar feed, when you want to get nutes to your plants right away to fix a prob.

3. Roots are for nutrient and fluid uptake and leaves are for perspiration and converting energy from the sun.

It'd be like shoving food in your butt.

Problems can arise from watering foliage that look like over watering. Since the perspiration of water out of the leaves is so important, if you constantly soak them it'll halt the motion of nutrients in the plant. Plants naturally take things in the roots, and basically 'filters' out the nutrients for construction and dispels the water in order to make room for more.

Don't try to feed through your leaves, it's useless and can cause problems.

4. Thanks man!!!

5. I totally agree, but it's called transpiration, not perspiration..... just being pedantic that's all haha

6. Great way too put it . LOL

7. #7 jerry111165, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
    Don't try to feed through your leaves, it's useless and can cause problems.

I respectfully disagree.

It is well documented that plants take in nutrition quite well through their leaves. I often do it myself with organic amendments and have very positive results. While foliar feeding will and should not replace root feeding it is an excellent supplemental method. Surfactants should be used for best results.

Foliar feeding is an effective method for correcting deficiencies and overcoming the soil’s inability to transfer nutrients to the plant. Availability of
    essential nutrients and trace minerals from the soil may be limited at times by root distribution, soil temperature, soil moisture, nutrient imbalances
    and other factors. Foliar feeding can help maintain a nutrient balance within the plant, which may not occur strictly with soil uptake.

A project conducted at Michigan State University, using radio­active tagged nutrients, proved that foliar feeding can be 8 to 10 times more effective than soil feeding. Foliar feeding stimulates an increase in chlorophyll production, cellular activity and respiration. It also triggers a plant response that increases water and nutrient uptake from the soil.

According to Iowa State University research; “Because plants can absorb nutrients through their leaves, spraying fertilizer nutrients on the plants can prevent nutrient depletion, keep leaves more active in carrying on photosynthesis, and increase seed yields.

https://www.dutchmaster.com.au/?language=english&page=growers_guide&topic=foliar_feeding

http://www.haifa-group.com/files/Articles/Foliar.pdf

j