Water touches the bottom of net cup or rockwool cube?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by nonnak26, Oct 23, 2012.

1. I have a reservoir set up with four net cups filled with clay pebbles and rock-wool cubes nestled in the clay pebbles. The top of the rock-wool cubes are level with the top of the net cups. Should the water be just touching the bottom of the net cup or should the net cup be submerged until it touches the bottom of the rock-wool cube? I have it just touching the bottom of the net cup now and the rock-wool cubes are staying damp and my seeds have been growing. I have been reading different things but can't find a definite answer.

Also if anyone knows... how can I tell when my plants are flowering/blooming? I have two different types of nutrients one for flowering/blooming and one for starting. I'm wondering because I have two plants in soil as well but I have just been giving them distilled water because I'm not sure which nutrients to give them. They are about 1ft-1.5ft and just have leaves all over them.

I am a complete noob with this so sorry if these are "stupid" questions.

2. It's my understanding that you don't want the rock wool submerged at all because it will lead the way for algae growth. Just put it up to just below the netpot and top water it for a bit until roots start to poke through the netpot and go from there.

Flower or bloom nutes are used once the plants are flowering, so until you see pre-flowers or begin to flower the plant using the light schedule (im assuming you are indoors) you won't need those nutrients. Some growers begin to introduce new nutrients a week or so before they make the switch to give the plants time to get used to them. Typically you would use about 1/4 of the recommended strength listed a week before flowering and then follow the nutrient schedule from there working your way up to full strength although not all strains will like that.