water retaining crystals opinions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GoldGrower, Feb 2, 2015.

1. I have always been against the use of water retaining crystals and gel in soils due to them holding on to water and that marijuana prefers a drier well draining soil.

But I have been thinking that the swelling and shrinking nature of the crystals might aid aeration of the soil. They may soak up excess water that the soil has to actually prevent over watering, so are they a good addition to soil? 

If anyone has experience using them with marijuana I'd love to hear of your experience. 50/50 perlite and wrc might be an interesting mix 

2. Good idea..do those crystals retain salts more than water? Will it make the soil or medium ph creep?

3. I would imagine they would hold all dissolved solids and water in the same ratio, but it's not something I know for sure. People have been using it in their soil for many years so I would have thought that it wouldn't effect the pH, but again I can't be sure.

Many garden centres sell packets of the stuff but I believe it's the same as what they have in nappies and diapers

4. I was right with you until we got to "nappies". Birds that take a nap in a lorry at lunchtime? (or whatever you call the noon meal.)

5. Shoot even if it added a day to each 72 hour water it would be way worth it....less nutes and h20 staying active and not evaporating

6. Nappies are diapers, tomatoes ~ potatoes

I use them when growing cucumber and tomatoes and they seem to help. It gets very hot in the greenhouse in summer so helps with evaporation