water for seedlings- theory

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by fredlnoakes, Feb 26, 2010.

1. I cant sex plants before plotting and want to start with seedlings. Of course I want the most females possible. My theory is when the seedlings are young they are more susceptible to chemicals in tap water and switching to males. I'm gonna try melting snow to have water ready to start them with. But buying filtered would work as well. what do you guys think? Too much? Good theory?:metal:

2. instead of buying water just get a drip water filter and a couple big corkable water jugs... it'll save a lot of money in the long run...

let the filter run, funnel it into the jug... repeat as necessary.... let it sit for a day and cork it up... and with two jugs you can just rotate them and always have clean water...

3. ive used tap water for all my grows and never had a problem with males. ive only had two in my 3 years. if you just let the water distill in an open container in your grow room you will be fine. it evaporates all the chlorine and such and the water is already at room temperature so the plants wont be in shock when i water them

4. You can try the experiment but I doubt youll ever note noticeble differences. But its always good to experiment.

But listen to what omelet said, just evaporate the chlorine for a day and you should be good.
    Or what OrganicIsBetter said, that works also, just a little more complex.

5. It's a waste of time. You can no more influence the sex of a plant than you can influence the sex of a human being. Why this myth continues to be so common in the cannabis growing community is beyond me. Sex is determined by genetics, environment cannot alter genetics. Trying to influence sex by environment goes against the most basic principles of biology and genetics - it is IMPOSSIBLE.

6. your wrong, your plants can hermie...

7. #7 Blaze21, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
    Which is not an expression of genotype. When a plant hermies the genetics do not change nor does the sex - it is a shit if phenotype not genetics. When dealing with hermies it can get a bit confusing but the principles remain the same.

Charles Xavier over on THC farmer has a good explanation of how this works:

"Sexual determination is genotypic. That means it is written in the genetic code of the organism. Whether it is 'male' or 'female' is predetermined. Sexual expression is phenotypic. That means all the traits possessed by an organism that can be visually observed; but it also encompasses all the traits that can be made to manifest by manipulation or stimuli. Whether it appears to be 'male' or 'female' is condition dependent.

The environment does not "trigger the sex gene". The sex of the plant is already fixed. The environment influences expression i.e. causes certain chemical processes in the plant that may cause it to look differently. The genetic code (genotype) remains intact, but what can be visually assessed is influenced by the environment (phenotype).

Here's the deal: ordinarily the environment shouldn't have such a profound effect on a seed, but irrespective of what they appear to be phenotypically, most Cannabis plants are genotypically intersex specimens (colloquially referred to as hermies). That's just the way it is."

In other words the environment can cause your plants to hermie, but not change sex.