Water curing

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by fasteddie, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I definitely go to jar curing after the paper bag... but it's ready to smoke as soon as it's finished drying in the paper bag and tastes delicious!

I experimented on water curing with two different plants. I was not pleased with the results either time, ESPECIALLY compared to the stuff properly dried/cured.

2. I am on day two of a water cure. I did it a little different. i put it in a air tight container that way the water stays fresh.

So you can change it daily and it wont smell rank.

the bud is submerged. the buds smell good. Still covered in thc.

in 48 hours i will dry it going to dry it fast in the airing cupboard using a fan.

in theory its a good way to cure because you do not need to flush your plants first :smoke:

3. +Rep to this. /let us know how it goes!

4. I will. Tonight its time to remove the buds from the water and dry :D

5. I had a plant get fucked up by light burn late in flower, so instead of ditching the entire thing, I figured I'd use the undamaged bud to try this water curing thing out. I stuck the nuggets into water last night.

That water cured bud in the first post doesn't look near as nice as the bud that was jar cured.

6. The buds are drying 3 days seems to be just right iv had feedback from other places that if you go to long the buds will be really really soggy.

The smell is still there are 3 days under water.

One question i do have is that after iv dried the buds is it safe to smoke
    or does it need to stay in a jar to cure further for a while?

My other plants i am flushing

70% of the buds will be air cured while the smaller lower buds will be water cured to turn in to edibles.

One thing iv noticed is that when the water cured bud came out today the hairs have turned more red/orange in color before i think keeping them underwater they are still growing because the water is keeping them alive i may be wrong :D

either way its sure been interesting to do a water cure.
    I will do a smoke report when the buds have finished.

7. i have been following this thread and am dieing to know your result!!!

8. Water curing is not anything I'll be fucking with again. It was dumb. I can't imagine the mess, and terrible smell of actually curing any significant amount of bud like this. I used a sealed jar and changed the water daily. It still smells like shit. Looks like shit. Water curing is shit in my book.

9. when I look at his pictures, I see that the water cured bud is less green. Less green meaning chlorophyll is gone from it. Now, you may like to have pretty bud by air drying but me, the less chlorophyll, the better why? because as well all know, chlorophyll causes smoke to be more harsh.

for the seller: air dry instead of water curing to cause your bud to weigh more.
    for the personal stash guy: water cure, im my opinion to have a smoother smoke.

10. Sure.

11. So the people that are saying it is terrible, what kind of water are you using?? Is it distilled? Spring? tap?

was the water aerated for 24 hours if it was from the tap?

Just trying to figure out why people praise it and people bomb on it.

I myself am starting tonight on my White Russian. I'll be using Spring, Tap (aerated) and Distilled. All bud will be of equal wet weight, maybe 3g each. Wish me luck lol avoiding the swamp water results the best I can.

12. look these guys who praise it or the guys who dump on it have their own opinions on it. and those may not necessarily be true for everyone.

here is what i believe to be true:

water curing removes all the water soluble elements from the cannabis, including chlorophyll, plant sugars, terpines, and any nutrients left in it

these elements of the bud are what give it the smell and look of good bud, but the sugars and chlorophyll make the smoke harsher.

the terpines have some effect on the high and will be completely removed during proper water curing....so it will effect the high

BUT...if you are using your bud for edibles or tinctures, water curing removes the TASTE, which as we all know can be very very bad.

so my recommendation to anyone who is debating on the curing process is to properly dry cure your buds if you plan on smoking them or selling them. water cure them for edibles and tinctures that will smell and taste better.

13. this is a really good thread. I had no idea about water curing but now I think I might try it.
    anyone know if you used something scented and possibly green food coloring in the water if it would work.
    like add cinnamon to the water that has been boiled for contaminants.... just a thought.

14. i would highly recommend against adding anything to the water as you may cause problems with your bud. you really dont want to smoke the chemicals they make food coloring with.

the point of water curing is to remove anything inside the buds, not to put stuff in it.

if you want to add flavoring, which i do for oils and soon to be making an alcoholic drink, you do it after the cure and when it is in your solvent, whether the solvent is oil based or alcohol based. like for one of my favorite oils, i add fresh basil leaves and garlic along with the buds (and a couple sprigs of oregano, but a little goes a long way with that)

then it just sits in the jar in the back of a cabinet and i try to forget about it for a few months or more. then when its ready i strain it and squeeze everything out of the mush that comes out....and i have a great topping for some toasted bread....just add a little diced tomato and some shredded mozzarella and you have amazing pot bruschetta

and because you water cured it first, all the crappy taste that comes from the chlorophyll and sugars is gone

:)

15. it seems like the trics would come off ... i dont quite understand how all the thc doesnt just come off in the water...

16. thc is not water soluble, so it wont dissolve in the water

but yes some of the trichs will come off due to movement in the water and things like that. so you should dump the waste water through a coffee filter to collect any that fell off

if you do this, make sure you do it for about a week, and change the water daily or more often that that. you will see after a few hours the water changing color, that is the stuff coming out of the plant, when it does, and you are available to of course, change it. just make sure that you keep it in a nice dark place because as we all know light degrades the quality of the buds

17. i do it until the water no longer changes color....

18. Do yall water cure the buds after drying them up? or yall submerge them into water after cutting the plant off (aka harvesting)?

19. right after cutting

20. well you can do it both ways actually....

but i doubt it makes much difference (even though many people believe you must decarb before curing...)