Water cloning?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by c t m, May 22, 2012.

1. I've been doing some research about cloning and i saw some techniques that involved only the cutting, water, and some light. Does anyone have experience with this method. The guy said he gets a 100 percent success rate this way.

2. You mean cloning without hormone? Sure. People cloned plants for ages before the development of bottled rooting hormone. It's done the same way. The hormone is just to help roots get going but isn't necessary.

If you mean without any substrate then that's possible too. There's aero-cloning and similar medium-less techniques.

3. Well the site i was reading from said to take your cuttings and immediately put them in water like usual. Then it said to continue to leave them in the cup of water until roots start to form and once the roots grow enough to support the cutting place the new plant in whatever medium you are planning to.use. Does this seem about right? And yes withouany rooting hormones.

4. Some people clone using that method but most of them are doing it on types of plants that naturally grow with submerged roots. I haven't seen pot growers use that technique, though.

5. It takes a lot longer to get roots and is much less successful than using a dome and rooters or a cloning machine. I've tried the cutting in a cup of water method and it doesn't work well for MJ. It works great on house plants though....

6. you would have better luck with sticking the end in something like a root riot cube & keeping the cube moist.....

you can drop the cube with the plant in it into a 16oz beer pong cup (make sure it isnt clear)

it works.

using an aero cloner machine with no nutrients or hormone works as well. just be sure to change the water just as frequently.

-OSUB

7. Build an aerocloner. Trust me!

If you visit my "Bedroom Camping" journal in my signature, I posted pics of my cloner.
    It is rare that I don't get a clipping to clone now!

8. I built a clones for 11 dollars cuz I had the pump lying around its easy

9. Do not water clone if you plan to grow in soil. The roots that form in h20 differ from those that form in soil. So if you were to take a water clone and transplant into soil you will shock the plant badly.

No stoner science here just facts.

And plant stress is a very important part of overall quality of your finished product.

10. cool ill probably get something like the rooting cubes or just some good old rockwool.

11. #11 mjmama25, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2012
    [quote name='"c t m"']cool ill probably get something like the rooting cubes or just some good old rockwool.[/quote]

Get the rapid rooters. They work best IMO. Rockwool supposedly has ph fluctuations and what not. I say supposedly because I dont use them myself so thats only hearsay. The rapid rooters are fool proof though. My last batch of clones, 20 out of 22 rooted and that was outdoors just leaving my dome in a shady spot.

12. rooters or aeroponics are the best cloning mediums. IMHO

FTR I clone in Aero and switch about 25 % of my clones to soil , after rooting, with no ill effects.

13. As 818420 says build an aero cloner and have some real fun, I tried for months to perfect this cloning art and ran across rumples cloner (DIY SECTION) you can see my 2nd attempt in my blog under new tech:

peace
    "V"

14. Bubble cloner, 100%.
    Also you can add Heisenberg Tea if you have problems in your geographic area.
    Check out his cloning method.

15. I have a good friend that uses this method and gets close to 100% success doing it. He takes the cutting, dips it in cloning solution, sticks the cutting in mini-block 1.5, and sumerge's the cubes in water until they root. No dome, no drying out of the medium and the plants look like they're going to die. After 4 days all of the cuts are standing back up and looking as healthy as the day they were taking off of his mothers. When I first witnessed it, I thought that he was crazy, but when I saw the finished cuttings I was amazed!

16. #16 jbarth22, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
    Water cloning works fine, and contrary to popular belief you do not need to throw away a bunch of money for any of these so called "cloning systems" and the like. Same goes with all those specialty "cloning" products. Waste of money!!

Just get some root plugs and a cheap cloning solution and that is ALL you need to clone with great success! If you want to invest some money in your cloning rig, then get a decent tray with a plastic dome to put the fresh cuts in. Keep them from completely drying out by using plain water until you see roots come out of the plug. Easy- Peazy!

Dont waste your money on gimmick cloning products and systems! It is hard for me to grasp how these people sell 3 and 4 hundred dollar cloning systems and all the gimmick products that go with them with a straight face! AMAZING!!

Cheers!

17. jbarth22 is speaking some truth!! There are so many people spending bigbucks to take cuttings its ridiculous!! The easiest way to take cuttings that Ihave learned in the last 13 years is to first start off with the right medium.I personally use Grodan Mini-Blocks 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5. I soak them in R.O. waterwith my own concoction of nutes that I call "Root Juice". I soak mycubes in "Root Juice" so when the cuts begin to shoot roots they canhave nutes readily available to begin up taking. The "Root Juice"consists of Advanced SensiBloom A&B, Plant Success Great White, House andGarden Root Excelurator, and Advanced CarboLoad. I'm sure you're wondering whySensiBloom instead of SensiGrow? The answer is because high amounts of nitrogenat the early stages of root production will inhibit and sometimes kill rootgrowth. The CarboLoad is food for the beneficial bacteria found in the GreatWhite. My "Root Juice" is roughly 75-125 ppm with a 5.5 ph. I havesoaked my cubes for as long as 24 hours and as short as 30 minutes. After Ihave soaked my cubes I shake out the extra water so they don't become waterlogged and not to give my "babies" stem rot. I fill my trays up withcubes 6 wide and 12 long, so each tray has 72 cubes in them. I have space themout in the past but haven't seen having a packed tray prevent my cuttings fromrooting. I then take the best looking tops of my mothers. I stay away from thebottoms because my topping technique produces so many tops that I don't need tosupplement weaker cuts for healthy ones. I take the cuts of the mother plantwith a new razor blade every time I take a new batch of cuttings. I cut them ata 45 degree angle for the most part, but as long as the cut is clean your plantwill survive. As for rooting hormones, I've used almost everyone on the market.My top three are GrowMore Rapid Root, Dip and Grow, And Clonex in no particularorder. Clonex is faster when there are a lot of cuttings to take becauseinstead of having to get the cut wet and then dip it in the hormone, it adheresautomatically. Next I stick the cut in the cube, but not in the provided hole,I stick it about a 1/4-1/2 inch away from the hole. I find that the cut is morestable and less likely to fall out of the cube this way. After I've filled atray up with cuts I spray the down with R.O. water and my homemade compost tea.I then put the dome on the tray and stick them under florescent lights. I walkaway and don't touch them for 2 days. After the 2nd day is done I begin wipingof the hoods to remove any built up humidity that builds up inside of the dome.I do this for 2 reasons. 1st to help the cubes dry out faster and 2nd toprevent mold and stem rot from occurring. Normally around day 7-10 the cubeshave dried out and need to be watered. I mix up some fresh "RootJuice" and light water the cubes again. The reason that I don't soak mycubes is because roots only stretch when they are in search of water not whenthere is an abundant amount everywhere. As I'm watering I pull rooted plantsout and separate them from ones that don't have roots. Depending on the strainyou should have roots as early as 7 days and as late as 20 days. After day 7 Ibegin hardening my unrooted cuttings by removing the lid for 20 minutes at atime. I get high 90's percentage if not 100% success using this method. I hopethat if you decide to try this method it will work for you as well as it hasfor me. Good Luck!

18. Personally IVe tried 3 cuts 2 of them where into soil 1 was into a tub of water, All 3 where dipped in clonex gel, All had undergone the same conditions:... I.E 24hr darkness before being introduced to light, then onto 18/6 for 14days.
    But on the 3rd cut i decided after 14 days of showing nothing, to remove all light for 48hrs, and would you know it, i had root formation.
    maybe if i put the others back into darkness they would of come out too, Who knows.

+1 to tub of water
    -2 to soil.

Simple, Easy and works...

peace.