Water 10-20% runoff on seedling?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Oye, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Hey all

Im wondering about the watering-technique of giving water until 10-20% water comes out of bottom.
    Can you do this to a seedling?

Im so tired of overwatering my seedlings....

2. I give my seedlings minimal water until they're big enough to take a good watering. Literally just enough to keep them from drying out. I don't aim for run off till they've been repotted

• Like Like x 2
  3. #3 Viscerok, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    I don't really even water my seedlings at all. I generally use a 1.75 gallon container, soak the soil and compress it, then re-soak. THEN put the seed in 3/4 inch deep. Cover with cellophane. Remove once a day and just mist it for humidity then put cellophane back on until seed sprouts and grows. It take about 10 days before water is needed. By then she's on her second or third set of leaves and you can water accordingly. My current grow is on day 24 and I have watered her twice. On day 10 and 20. When I water I water pretty heavy, then leave her alone.

The biggest mistake people make is overwatering. Let them dry out and get oxygen to the roots. She will be happier and healthier that way imo.

4. I tried that way last seeds I ran and pretty sure I drowned them. Definitely user error and still new to the scene. Will be doing it your way next time tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Shouldnt water at all for couple of weeks atleast since sprout, just gentle mist on top of soil. If you tired of overwatering your plants, add like 50% perlite to your medium, then water like every 4 or so days, water to first runoff.

6. Hello guys

Ive figured out a possible superior method for not overwatering the plants and many people do it.
    Shouldnt it be much easier to give your plants some water by simply spraying them and avoid overwatering?

I know that spraying water
    on the leaves may encourage the plant to develop less roots, but if you spray just the 7 first days after the seedling have come up from the soil, then it should be impossible to overwater and then after these 7 days, just water the normal way and the roots should develop much faster.

Anybody tried to spray the plants? Did it work?

Ive already given water to all my seedlings (I use very poor strains for practice while saving the good ones for the real grow later) so there came water out of bottom. I then turned on an airfan since it dries out the water in soil much faster than without a fan.

What surprised me is that the leaves on the seedlings havent drooped and there is still no chlorosis. Its one day since I gave them water with 10 or actually 5% runoff out of bottom.

There was one guy on grasscity who wrote that he always watered his seedlings with water runoff and according to him AND according to my experience until now, there seems to be no problem...