Washington MMJ Patients: Speak out on LCB/DOH recommendations

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by FarmerJames, Nov 7, 2013.

1. I just received a surprising phone call.....

I recently contacted my Representitives in Olympia regarding the draft recommendations from LCB and DOH regarding changes to RCW69.51A. I was surprised at how receptive they were to what I had to say. Considering I live in an area of the State that I live is about as conservative as it gets in WA they were VERY open and supportive.

The surprise came when I answered my phone today and on the other end was the Director of WSLCB. I was pleasantly surprised to find that he is a supporter of MMJ and interested in maintaining safe access for MMJ patients.

We spoke for about 45 minutes and three key points came up repeatedly:

1. Availability of medicine to all. Understanding that those of us in more remote and conservative areas may not have access to medicine if homegrows are eliminated. A significant portion of our State's residents live 60-100miles (or more) from the nearest likely outlets if the recommendations pass as writen.

2. Affordability of medicine. Price and tax structure will change significantly if the recommendations are adopted as presented in the draft. This could have a huge impact on affordability of medicene.

3. Selection of appropriate medicine. Forcing medical patients to purchase medicine from 502 stores would likely limit our selection to strains best suited to the recreational market. It is likely that most 502 retail outlets will be catering to the recreational customer and less likely to have strains suitable to the medical community.

A good portion of the discussion came down to how damaging it would be to MMJ patients to eliminate the option to home grow. Mr. Garza did have one question that I did not have a good answer for. "How do we regulate home grows?". IMHO: Home grows are currently not a significant problem. I asked "How do you regulate people who brew there own beer at home?". His response was that home brewers have an exemption and are not regulated by LCB. LCB only takes action against a home brewer if there is a complaint that they are violating the law. IE: Selling 6 pack to the kids down the street?

Why no the same standard for home grows? Exepmtion from oversite unless there is a complaint of violation?

This is a rough overview of the conversation. Not complete in detail or argument. I wanted to pass on, quickly, that there are people in Olympia who are listening. WE NEED TO SPEEK UP!!!!!

CALL!!! EMAIL!!! WRITE!!!

Battery is going dead on my laptop. I will follow up soon.

FJ.

2. Wow, that's great news and promising that the director is so friendly! I sent a couple emails out last night, still waiting for a response.

3. Good to hear man...and this was the director of the LCB? This gives me a little bit more hope.

They are taking public comment in Olympia on the 13th...I'm only an hour away from there so I'm going to do my best to make it.

After you made your point about how people can brew their own beer without regulation did he realize it's very similar to growing a personal amount of meds? Or did it sound like he really wanted strict regulation on home grows?

I just gotta say I'm glad i've seen so many people so passionate about this issue. I'm on a number of forums and there are hundreds of people emailing/calling the LCB and their own Reps...hopefully the message gets through.

4. #4 FarmerJames, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013

I got the impression that he had not considered comparing small personal grows to small personal production of beer or wine. He did not disagree or argue that there was no merit in the comparison. I think the discussion may have given him a new avenue to consider regarding home grows.

I wish I could be in Oly for the public meeting. Unfortunately it is a 5-6 hour drive from here.

5. #5 FarmerJames, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  6. Just got word that "potentially" Jay Inslee has had a recall petition filed against him. Hopefully some articles will surface in the coming hours.

7. #10 420leaks, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
    You can't trust anything coming out of these people at this point.  They are no friends to medical patients in our state.  They want full police powers.  That would give them access to HIDTA and other police grants.  They'll also be able to get their agents cross designated with DEA authority.  Think about that for a minute...a state agency who write the rules will also be DEA agents who get to enforce it.  This is historically the most corrupt agency in the state going back to its beginnings back in 1933.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/157786560/DEA-STATE-Cross-Deputization-DOJ-Documents