Was this a panick attack?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by thezool, Oct 21, 2012.

1. #1 thezool, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
    I just experienced something really quite frightening. I was chilling with my mate, we had had some to smoke and we were going to the cash point to get money for food. We hooked up with another friend and he shared a joint with us, about half way through the joint I felt high enough so refused it when it was passed for the rest of it. At some point everything started whiting out and I was like oh shit please don't pull a whitey again!
    Anyway this didn't feel like a normal whitey, I literally went totally blind I couldn't see a fucking single thing, I felt like I was swaying a shit load but my friend after said I was just being quiet. We started walking somewhere and I could barely see them just like vague silhouettes I even thought my one mate on a bike was riding past me but I soon realised he wasn't. Fucking scary shit, I was so panicked I went full on blind! I was fine before as well I felt really good actually then boom it happens
    Now my stomach is in loads of pain feels like I'm dying for a shit but I can't poop

2. Possibly. Panic attacks while stoned are way crazier than sober panic attacks.

3. Sounds fun.

4. Hmm, weird...

I have heard cases where people go temporarily blind after smoking an unspecified amount of cannabis. There should be clinical studies focusing on this, since there are already experiments on the opposite effects, which is vision improvement caused by cannabis.

Weird nature is weird.

5. Iv hadn't vision go black for like 20 seconds after standing up to fast after a bong rip, but my panic attacks are never like u describe. I usually just feel like im about to loose mental controll, then for like random "frames" I do loose cognitive controll. Its really quite freaky, but only happens if I smoke copious ammounts of oil or hash now.

6. I've read up this morning about other people who experienced this and it seems like it's a problem with my blood pressure. It's happened a few times before exactly the same way but never in front of people. It sucks to think the herb does me any damage :\

7. Lol youre all idiots. You were just dehydrated bro, keep a bottle of water with ya when you smoke and take sips every now and then. Safety first kids

8. Slightly rude to begin with but I like the 'safety first' haha.
    As somebody who works in Emergency Medicine, not particularly sure how you're so confident about this.
    From my experience with patients who are dehydrated you're talking a good amount of time before they begin to feel these kind of effects.
    I do agree that you should keep hydrated while toking as smoking does increase the amount of water vapor you loose from breathing (smoking herb more so as you tend to hold it longer). But doubt its the primary cause.

As somebody who deals with patients presenting with them regularly I would say it doesn't sound like a panic attack bro.
    Certainly sounds like it could be blood pressure related and I BELIEVE that cannabis is a vasodilator, hence increased Heart Rate and Drops in BP (chilling on the couch!), but as its not one of the drugs in my work guidelines (yet lol) so I'm not an expert and at a quick glance its tough to find out for sure due to conflicting reports.
    Keep an eye on it, Like Johnny suggested, keep hydrated, if it is related to a drop in BP this will increase the volume and may go some way to helping to reduce the symptoms and certainly can't do any harm "Safety first kids" :D.

If it happens again, sit down with you legs elevated (preferably lie down, legs elevated) see if this helps relieve the symptoms. If it does, we're on to a winner, can't pass out and fall over further injuring yourself and will be comfy! Fuckin' A!!
    Also check your radial pulse (sober as a control), if you're high it will be quicker so don't worry about that, it will probably be a bit weaker than normal but check HOW MUCH weaker, if you can't feel it you're BP is probably below 90 systolic, you'll feel pretty rough then!
    If that is the case then again; LIE DOWN, LEGS UP.
    "Safety first" don't wanna be passing out and doing real damage.

Hope this helps in some way and I'm not just rambling.

9. Thanks that was a very helpful post! A response from somebody who works with medicine is ideal. I'll be sure to drink more water in the future when blazing. Unfortunately the situation I was in I wasn't able to sit down let alone lay down with my legs in the air - I could've sit down on the floor but I partly didn't want to attract attention to myself; I didn't want to be "that pussy pulling a whitey" :smoking: I'll be sure to try laying down with elevated legs though, it has happened before even while seated and it was still pretty intense so knowing a technique to help stop it is handy indeed.
    I'll try to remember to keep an eye on my BPM, too.

As this has only happened after smoking weed would you be able to say with some degree of confidence that it is not worth worrying about too much? I have only ever passed out once outside of being high and that was the morning after a heavy session. Could it potentially be an indicator of some other condition?

10. No worries! Happy to help.

You might be worried about people taking the piss, but I bet if you were to pass out they'd laugh harder.
    Plus as Johnny said, Safety First! If you're blood pressure drops enough, you will pass out as this is how you're body levels itself to get oxygenated blood back to the brain, although most people pass out slowly and "flop" to the floor you are putting yourself at risk of injury I'd still suggest sit down, take the ribbing and just say "Dude, I'm so fucking high!" Works for the rest of us haha.

I'm not seeing you in person and able to perform observations on you while it's happening etc so its purely based on the history you're giving which does limit the accuracy of any diagnosis. However as its only happened after toking that would be the common denominator and would say with a degree of confidence that its probably the cause.
    As for it being the indicator for anything else, I can't really say, my initial instinct would be that it is the bud as its not happening at other times and as cannabis is supposedly a vasodilator then it would by definition be a side-effect as you're using it recreationally.

Keep an eye on it.
    Monitor you're usage, see how much you have smoked before an episode (hopefully it won't keep happening though) and consider limiting usage to said limit, stretch it out smoke less at once and over a greater time period.
    If it keeps happening maybe try a t-break to make sure its definitely only happening high.
    If it starts happening sober definitely seek advise from your doctor.

If you're concerned at all see still you're doctor, don't forget they are bound by patient confidentiality and you're life choices are you're own but they are highly likely to warn you off bud but it will mean you've had check up for any health problems.

11. I actually don't smoke that much anymore. I'll have a joint or 2 every few weeks, so it seems fairly obvious it's weed related because it's never happened after I stop having it. I've needed an excuse to stop smoking anyway, too expensive and never as fun as it used to be!

Thanks again for the advice krapp :)

12. I'm gonna say blood pressure same thing happened to my cousin but it happened when he was sober also.

13. [quote name='"thezool"']I've read up this morning about other people who experienced this and it seems like it's a problem with my blood pressure. It's happened a few times before exactly the same way but never in front of people. It sucks to think the herb does me any damage :\[/quote]

Yes, i myself thought it was a blood pressure issue but the 2nd time i smoked i was plenty hydrated and had a full stomach.
    So i guess Pot is just another thing fun that im not going to be able to enjoy and it kills me to have to think about giving it up.

14. [quote name='"thezool"']I actually don't smoke that much anymore. I'll have a joint or 2 every few weeks, so it seems fairly obvious it's weed related because it's never happened after I stop having it. I've needed an excuse to stop smoking anyway, too expensive and never as fun as it used to be!

Thanks again for the advice krapp :)[/quote]

So true you never get that high like when you first start out smoking it's never the same.