Was the Great Wall of China meant to keep Mongols out. Or China in?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bozley, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Simple question.

Was the Great Wall of China built for protection to keep the Mongols out?

or

Was the Great Wall of China built as a means of keeping people in?

2. It was to protect China from invasions.

. . .unless this is a trick question that I don't get!

3. both, the chinese have been a very reserved and closed society for thousands of years.

4. It was meant to keep out invaders. It had nothing to do with keeping people in.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Backcountry Camping

5. Keeping invasions out.

6. It is both, it was to basically say, fuck you your stuck here weather you like it or not. Keep in mind it was the peasants prisoners and slaves that built it.

7. Keeping the people in China may have been a beneficial side-effect, but it wasn't the purpose. Having slaves means nothing when your at risk of being murdered or made into a slave yourself.

8. I think the OP just watched the City Wok episode of South Park.

9. If my memory did not fail me the walls were built not for keeping the Mongolians out at first. It was pieces of walls that individual areas built to protect themselves from other countries. (these countries are all parts of china now)
    They just joined the pieces together later to keep the mongolians out.
    And emperor Qing used like 5% of china's total population to join those pieces.

10. Definitely to keep invaders out. This "Great Wall" a normal man, maybe even a child could climb over. The fact that horses and shit cant climb it is what makes it useful lol. Who invades without horses and shit?

11. Keep people out.

China expanded it's territory a huge amount after the wall was built, making it kind of redundant.

12. damn mongolians. always trinyg to knock down that city wall, fucking mongolians. they know the blame is resting on them

13. The Great Wall of China was meant to keep the Mongols out.

14. Goddamn Mongorians
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkqWgucPVMk&feature=related]YouTube - Goddamn Mongorians![/ame]

15. The great wall was the division of "the middle kingdom" which is china...

16. i have always been taught it was to protect against mongol hordes. i mean, say you're an east asian tribal leader. you smoke hash, pillage towns and eat children and such. do you wanna run to to the north, (siberia) or south? (china)
    i think we found our answer. lot more to steal kill and rape in china, unless youre fond of large bears and white tigers.

17. They built it a little bit too short if it was meant to keep Chinese in..

18. Yeaaaaahhh........BOTH :rolleyes: :bongin: