Want to Start a PC Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Mister Fox, Apr 19, 2011.

1. So I'm new to growing and I've seen a somewhat common way is in an old PC case. I know it's not a great idea to cut corners when it comes to buying supplies, but I'm looking to start off small on a low budget and as I can pick off the first plant, I could always have my crew throw me a few bucks to smoke off it.

What would I need (besides seeds/soil/PC case to get started and what's the best cheap way to set it up?

I'm looking to spend $50 or less on supplies, not including seeds, if that's at all possible.

2. Hey again.
    First off you know about female and male seeds?
    You'll need viable female seeds.
    A ventilated pot.
    Rain water.
    A thermometer.
    Lights.
    Odor control (optional and dspends)
    Light reflecting Walls in your case.
    I've never done a micro grow before but that what you need to grow.

3. #3 Mister Fox, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
    What kind of lights should I use and how many for just one or possibly two small plants?
    Would aluminum foil work well for the light reflective surfaces??
    And what do you recommend for odor control?

Edit: Also, how do I know if they're female seeds?

4. The rule to go by is 50-100 watts per plant so if your growing 2 plants then 100-200 watts on total.
    If you need to hide the smell, then use a carbon filter but I imagine these would be quite dear. Do you need to hide the smell though?
    You can only tell between female and male seeds during flowering.
    Unless you buy seeds which are feminine.
    If using bag seeds you can only tell during flowering and it's hard to explain on paper. Look it up on youtube

5. #5 Mister Fox, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
    Why is it that it has to be a female seed? That's probably a noob question, but I'd rather just ask and be sure.

Edit: As far as carbon filters go, I'm not to sure on how I'd like to work it into the system. I'll most likely end up mounting a dryer sheet or 2 over the outgoing ventilation fan and keep a freshener in close proximity.

6. #6 KingDank, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    They both produce buds but the female buds have the THC and CBD which gets you high.
    The only thing you'll get if you smoke male buds is a headache.

7. You get out of it what you put in. If you plan on spending $50 or less, don't expect a huge harvest. Just remember, its better to spend a little more money at first to do it right then having to wind up spending 2x as much in the end because midway through the grow you run into complications. Also, READ READ READ READ READ READ. Everything you need to know has most likely already been detailed fully on some thread. Read until you think you are 100% ready to start, then read even more before starting something. That being said if you read the abundance of info available at your disposal here on GC you should have a pretty successful run. Good luck man!

edit: and dryer sheets wont do anything. They mask the smell, and only for a few hours at that. Carbon filters are the choice resource because they ELIMINATE smell. Better to put off starting for a while to make sure you have everything 100% worked out then risk getting busted and spending the next few years in jail.

8. Well, I'll look into the carbon filter a bit more. They just seemed a bit expensive and that shyed me away. As for harvest size, I don't plan on this first one being big. I just want to be able to pull from it once in a while when I can't get my hands on anything, until I move into my house and have the space for a few.

9. I am in the same situation as you bro I am a new medical user and I have no money. I want to grow an oz to sell to a dispenser so i can build a better set up. I have to big complications however, my condition keeps me from working so I have $0 to work with and my wife would kill me if she found me growing. but I have no friends that are willing to do it for me or even house my grow. I live in an apartment with 2 small children so it has to be safe. I have looked at speaker boxes PC cases I have even drawn plans up for my perfect grow room. but if i don't grow I can't get my medicine but I can't afford to grow(catch 22)

can anyone suggest a solution to me I have 2 20w CFTs and some clip on desk lights a few bag seeds i am germinating (cross fingers they are female) I can maybe come up with 20 bucks if i sell a few things I just need to grow enough to buy a better kit or build

10. go to your pet store get pre-activated carbon and use a sock you can find instructions for it on youtube i believe is were i saw that

11. So what you gonna do man?

12. #12 TranceKid, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Don't expect to get together with dispensaries so easily. Most if not all already have growers, if they don't have their own grow rooms within the dispensary. If they don't know you, how and what you grow and all that, they might not take you.
    Oh and, you don't "sell" marijuana to dispensaries, you receive a donation for all your work in providing them with quality medicine for their patients.

13. Don't expect to have very much to sell to your "crew" if $50 is all you're willing to spend. Nutes alone are gonna eat that budget right up.

14. So I started the build today. Mostly just tearing down the PC, It's now empty. I also started setting up the ventilation system. I used an old Nyko intercooler for an Xbox 360 that I don''t need. The 3 fans in there went along the back down low for the intake and the existing fan from the PC is going where the disc drive was and will be used as an exhaust fan.

For air filtration, I'm going to end up just using activated carbon pellets in a small flat pouch just outside the exhaust van, behind the PC's front faceplate.

Once I have the fans mounted, I'm going to mount a power strip for the lights and wire it to the PC's power button so I can just press it, instead of plugging and unplugging it. Where I'll be keeping the unit is in a basement closet and isn't close to an outlet. Then I'll wire up the fans to a separate plug and just zip tie the 2 wires together. The fans will always be on, but they're quiet and the closet happens to be on the other side of a wall against the water heater, so I don't think the fan noise will be a problem.

I'm not trying to plan too far ahead, but after the wiring's done, I'd like to make a shield to direct the air a bit. That's when I'll set up the filter and check on the electronic system to make sure it all runs smoothly.

I'm not even going to worry about the actual planting supplies and thermometer yet. I live around the block from a nursery and a CVS and I have a seed connect.

15. What about reflective material? You can paint the inside of the case flat white....or aluminum tape mylar in the inside..?:)

16. I'll line it with either the more reflective side of aluminum foil, or polish up a few bits of sheet metal until they have a chrome finish.

17. or try this man! Go out and buy a few car window reflectors? I heard those work great too!:)

18. no offens but 50 bucks? kidding me? haha doesn't sound good in my ears.. my complete setup of stealth components have costed me 400$+ including powersuply and all the other shit.. (gonna post a micro grow thread soon) so u can se it.

19. It's alright, he's just starting out and he has a low budget...He'll manage in his own way.:)

20. Exactly. If I can get enough from the plants where I can smoke once a week for a while off of just harvest, I can always use the money I save to flip sacks. My dealer (who I recommend everyone to and buy off of almost every day) usually gives me about a dime to fifteen extra on top of what I pay for, so I can get my money plus back. Or I can just smoke my plant and use the money I'd normally spend on herb to upgrade my system. I'm pretty good with making a little bit of money go a long way and I'm positive I can get this to work off less than $50.

Remember, I already had the PC, fans, power supply, light bulbs, pots for the plants, and reflective materials. The carbon pellets are cheap and I could probably get a very small bag (just enough for this and not have useless extra sitting around) for about $15. The soil I can get around the corner for about $10. The thermometer, I can get from CVS for probably under $5. My dealer said he'd give me some nice bag seeds next time I pick up from him and he just won't make the bag as fat (I'll probably get a dime). That leaves me with another $10 for most likely plant nutrients or more bulbs. I'll most likely pick up a few extra bucks on the way, I'm just starting off with $50.