Want to start a micro grow any ideas?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by puff masta toke, May 21, 2012.

1. So about 2 weeks ago i decided i wanted to grow, i have a week old plant in my attic now (in an open box). About an hour ago i noticed a few little spiders, i dont know much about spider mights but these might have been a little bigger (about the size of seed). Because it is not a finished attic cleaning it completely is impossible and an extermination could take months. I think i would rather start a micro grow. I was considering getting a 1x2x2.5 box with some cfls on the tops and sides, an airtight seel, and an intake and exaust fan (intake with a cloth filter to prevent bugs and dust.). Any one have any comments? Where can i buy a computer fan and how much will one cost? Ill upload some pics when i get one set up. Then ill start a new thread for my first grow journal.

2. This is your second thread about the same grow and same issues, try to keep it down to one. And you can get a PC fan online or maybe at a local computer or electronic store. And you don't want to use a "cloth" filter, you're gonna want a carbon filter (also good for smell reduction). Has your plant sprouted from the soil or is it still below the surface?

3. Sorry about that kinda new, but I was only gonna use cloth on the intake fan to filter out dust and bugs so they don't get in the box, untill I can afford a carbon filter I was gonna put dehumidifying Oder absorbers by the exhaust fan, kinda like tubbs of air freshener that absorb water vapor and smells

4. And so far I've germinated and planted 3 seeds, 1 is about 2 inches tall with its first pair of round leaves and a pair of jagged leaves, one died I think because the soil did not saturate properly, and 1 sprouted to day but has a week bent stem because it sprouted befor a dark period and received no light for a few hours

5. Yeah, that should work for a plant or 2, especially in a grow box.

EDIT: Dose your pot (or plastic cup) and soil have proper drainage?

6. I was thinking about using a cooler, I can cut wholes for the fan, air tight door, and it's already painted black plus the room it's in gets hot the moving air and insulated cooler might keep them at a decent temp

7. stirofoam or plastic? I'm using a styrofoam cooler, not alot of space at all.

8. I decided I needed more space so I'm gonna use 1 Rubbermaid container laid on its side so it's tall and opens from the side, and for smell and ventilation I'm gonna have 1 intake fan, 1 exhaust going to a duct that goes to a box with a fan at the end of the duct in the same direction as the exhaust so it sucks out of the grow box and into the other I'm going to fill the box with Oder absorbing products, and place and 1 exaust fan on the opposite side of the smell box. (4. Computer fans three blowing away from the groq one blowing in to the grow) so I guess I'm sort of making my own air filter shoe box type thing

9. An intake fan isn't 100% necessary. A passive intake (no fan) will work just fine if that route might be more preferable.

Computer fans don't work that well with carbon filters unless you make your own and get a REALLY high cfm computer fan. I would recommend getting an inline or duct fan that can easily fit with the appropriate sized ducting.

If you wanna go the rubbermaid route, I suggest getting 2 containers. Putting 1 on top of the other upside down so you have twice the room, and a decent amount of vertical space. Mount your light source to the bottom of the top box since it's upside down. And make sure to grab something to line the walls with to dampen light leak, and order some cheap emergency blankets to line it with to reflect light.

Then you'll have you a neato little set up.

10. I'm not using a carbon filter I'm adding a box with intake and exhaust coming from the exhaust of the Rubbermaid, and fill that box with Oder Absorbents, and I'm gonna use 1 Rubbermaid placed on its side so the longest side is vertical, 2 feet of grow hight and 1.5 feet length and with, and with the lid on the side the lights stay on top and I can rotate the plants 360 for training

11. Cool that works. I recommend an ONA block then for smell. I used 1 in my closet for my previous grow. Worked well.

12. You really don"t need any kind of odor nuetralizer until mid-late flowering.

13. can i get a decent plant under 14 inches tall and less then a foot wide? what a good guess of what i can expect with cfls and not a lot of skills, not a completly ideal room either, is a half 10-14 grams somewere nere the ballpark?

14. anywhere from 14-35 grams is my estimate, you never know though until the grow is done, just make sure you have as much lighting and space as possible during flowering, and give your plant(s) alot of time to bud up and finish flowering.

15. Plants not doing so hot, lockup for 2 days can't really call someone to water my plants from a station

Attached Files:

16. this needs oxygen or else it wont grow properly, get a fan going into it and more lighting

17. I Believe it needs carbon dioxide, and there's an exhaust fan on the top right if you look in the picture, the bottom left has a whole cut out with a cloth over it, so air can get in but bugs can't, I've read that the air rating on a fan should be able to move the amount of cubic feet in the grow room in 5 minutes, it's less then. 5 cubic feet in there and the fans rating is 70, and I have another clip set up for a second light when it's bigger I plan on getting 40-50 watt cfls to replace what I have, 23* but the plants leaves withered when I couldn't water it, I've been putting it outside every nice day for extra light, and the leaves have terrible shape but they turned green again

18. I'd upload a pic of how the plants looking but honestly I'm a little ashamed

19. what are the temps? I think that you should raise the light a little, a bit too close for comfort for that seedling.

20. Temps are pretty high during the day but there's honestly nothing I can do about it