Want to grow, about to move. What to look for in new place?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by AHemlocksLie, Jun 17, 2011.

1. I'm planning on moving in about 2 months, and I'd really like to grow at my new place. I'm still fairly young, and I haven't established much credit, so my most realistic option is an apartment. I'm a little antsy about this idea because I dislike the idea of growing in my apartment when I never know if the maintenance people will want to come in. Yes, they're supposed to give me warning, can I really expect to move a grow op discretely out of an apartment complex on 24 hours' notice? I'm not planning anything terribly large, but a big pot plant is kinda noticeable, I would think.

I'd most likely be growing in the closet, so I'm sure I wanna find a nice sized closet. I'd also want a closet without anything of importance in it to make sure nobody has reason to go in. Plugs for lamps and such would also be important. I'm betting I would want to find some way to seal off the room so my apartment doesn't smell horribly of pot all the time. I'd also like to find a way to securely lock the closet so nobody but me can get in there. A simple lock would suffice, I think, but I feel like I may end up trying to do something more interesting (sometimes, I just like fun projects).

My main concern, really, is security. I'm gonna have to rent, and that means that if the landlord wants access, I technically have to give them access. What kinds of places should I look for to help ensure they don't have to? Will an apartment be okay? Would I be better off trying to find a townhouse to rent or maybe even a full house? A full house would be difficult to manage, but if there's significant security to be gained, it's worth considering.

Other than the points I raised, is there anything else I need to look for? Are the points I mentioned even all valid points?

2. #2 Mr420Freedom, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
    where are you looking to live? is it legal to grow with the proper creditials? ive had great luck with craigslist. but then, there is also those craigslist killers...

look for a yard, a basement. look at how close your neighbors are. think of transporting materials, getting rid of waste.. and the Smell! look for space to grow in, the more the merrier! look at that space, and now think... how can you controll the temp, the ventalation, will this room have the space for ___ amount of plants? where the nearest water source?

.. just some questions to help you get thinking, while youre lookin.

3. Bad idea if you're renting. Even if this is legal, your landlord might just still be a dick about it. Play it safe and grow in PC cases. One case is enough for 1 person's need until next harvest. If not, fill up a closet with multiple PC's going..

4. If you get an apartment, get an upper level one. The smell will rise and you will stink out your neighbors if you're on the bottom. A crappier place with a slum lord is less likely to have check ins.

5. Monthly Apartment Landlords have to give you notice before entering your home. That is only if it's monthly, not weekly,bi-weekly,etc. This might just be where I live but check into that. You could do a rubbermaid grow. Or do a closet grow, but have the plant(s) in a rubbermaid tub without the lid, and if the landlord decides to show up, put a lid on top, you could even attach another light to the lid and use that. Get creative:wave:

6. Or you could buy some sort of stealth box/closet if you have enough money.

7. A Landlord here.

and I can tell everyone here that the laws differ per State and sometimes by City/County on what a landlord has to do to gain legal entry....

long story short, if your landlord catches You growing, they will turn You in. Gotta , or run the risk of losing the property (I cannot think of any state that has not enacted that sh***y law.)

Now, You may end up with a cool bastard like me ..but guess what? ..my properties are not in an MMJ state ,so I would have to kick You out .. like 3 day notice kinda of boot.. sorry .. :eek::(:mad: wouldn't turn you in .. mainly, cause I can fix it on my own, with none the wiser.

NOW WITH ALL THAT SAID..........

make sure when you get a place where you decide to grow, it is not part of the wet wall, or have the electric box in the same room. as those are what needs to be accessed the most.

also if you get some sort of slum lord/trailer porker you can get em to let you do your own repairs if needed ( most let you take it out of the rent, keep receipts )

Wharf

8. Okay, so I'm gonna wanna go with a stealth option. Can I still get a significant yield out of a stealth option? I'd imagine the size constraints (which would obviously vary some depending on the stealth tactic utilized) would make things difficult. How big of a stealth setup is reasonable, and what would it yield? Would the reduced size result in quicker harvests? How on earth to deal with the smell?

9. try to find a house where the owner lives in another state. a buddy of mine has lived in a rented house for 4 years and he has not even met the landlord

10. If I were you I would do a micro grow.

11. PC grow can yield a nice amount...maybe a super closet/locker?

12. also, i have one of these in my closet that im growing in [​IMG]

you can get em at walmart for like 20$, its really noticeable when the light is on but when its off you cant see anything

13. Thats not good. If light can get out, it can surely go in. It has to be 100% light tight...:cool:

14. lol true, i guess it would be bad for his situation :p