Walk-in closet of green

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SoulClinic, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Hey all, havent posted in a while but its time for my second grow. All will be taking place in a 8X2.5X2 ft approximately walk in closet. 250w hps, havent got that in there yet, average temps for a period of 3 days in there are about 68f without any light. Real issue is I don't know how I would go about venting the closet, it'd be a good idea if I didn't put any holes in the walls. How much would a 250w hps raise the temps in there -considering oscilating fans in the picture and a possibly open door-? Probably going for 4 plants. All input respected.

Peace.

2. Take it from someone who has screwed up a closet grow royally by not having the proper venting available. Heat produced by the 250W will naturally be less than a bigger light. All this means, as far as heat is concerned is the amount of time it takes to build up to an intolerable temp. Leaving the door open and a fan drawing air out will help quite a bit but only toy are gonna be able to judge the effectiveness of this vs the light loss and security ques.
    In one closet grow I was able to use a closet that had a crawl space access. I just vented out thru it with a fan drawing air down into the space.
    If push comes to shove and the money is available I would suggest an air cooled hood. It should be reasonably easy to figure a air route with only 2 four inch round duct hoses.

GL and keep us up to date. :wave:

3. I run a 4" fan out the bottom of the closet door w/scrubber inside closet.. 4" intake at top.. Gets the circulation that's required and air scrubs too..

4. Heat rises....intake at bottome, exhaust out the top. duh

5. High everyone and thanks for your replies. Just wanted to add that I want to keep this as in budget as possible, without compromising the plants health of course. What I'm asking I guess is how much rise should I expect in temperature with the 250W HID light in there, supposing the door will be kept a bit open and no real ventilation will exist except fans to move air around inside. Also if I were to use an air cooled hood, could I just leave the door a bit open and have the ducting just hanging out of there, how much would that help vs just fans?

Cheers!

6. Adding intake at top allows the cool air to drop onto plants (as in nature) and circulate more efficiently.. This way, i can use an additional duct hose to aim fresh vented cool air where ever it need be..

Result - More controlled environment

To each his own..

7. IMO As long as u got a couple fans w/ door open your golden.

8. Thanks everyone! jaybaby I thought the same at first but still having my doubts after stuff I've been reading. I'd hate to be opening windows in the middle of winter if it goes volcano in there. It shouldn't though right?

But seriously, any more technically oriented info would be appreciated. Like how many BTUs can a 250w produce? How much will it help if I keep the ballast outside the closet?

9. It will produce heat but not that much. Something simple should be able to control it

10. I have a 250 watter in an area that is kind of seperate from the rest of a small room, like a closet without a door. Anyway, I just have a fan blowing on the plants and it is a steady 82 with the light on. Some people might like it lower, but my plants are growing just fine like that. There is a window I can open right there, I have had to maybe twice. HTH

11. How much would you say the ambient temperature of the small room is? Mine right now with the heating on in the flat is about 68.