Volunteering Around the World

Discussion in 'General' started by Rhythm of Life, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Well I've decided that next summer I'm going to find someway to travel the world for a couple months and at the same time help people in nations that need it. I was wondering how many of you out there have done this and have any organizations to recommend or ideas for me. I'm trying to find something where the room and board is taken care of because I don't really have the cash to volunteer and pay for my housing.

Blaze_it_up420 I know you did something in Costa Rica what was that like?

Heinous Anus You know a lot about Vagabonding but have you ever done something like this?

Everyone Else - words of advice, ideas on organizations, locations anything would be helpful.

2. my cousin was talkin about the peace corps but she never got around to volunteering, so i dont know much besides the peace corps = volunteering in less fortunate countries around the world, a worthy cause no doubt--basically sounds like what your lookin for check it out

3. There are a few companies that you go with where you can teach English in foreign countries. Some of these places require a few years of college (I know S. Korea does, idk where else) but other places (Fuji is the only one I've heard of so far) where all you need is the availability to go and do it. You don't need to know the language, you'll be getting paid, and i believe it would be an outstanding way to get to know the culture. You just gotta find the hook up.

As for the Peace Corps. It's good for volunteers to have a specific expertise. Teachers, etc etc. Go to the website and check out what they've got to say. One of my dreams is to go to school for vet. medicine and join the peace corps and being a livestock vet in different countries- hopefully to learn the language and culture and eventually settle down somewhere. $6 k for 2 years. I'd definately urge you to talk to a rep. Even if it means you have to go to school for a few more years to pick up some sort of skill, there's nothing better to work toward.

Keep me updated.

4. Yeah I'd love to do the Peace Corps but for that I'm waiting til after college. You have to serve 27 months in whatever region and I can't take time off of school right now.

I'm trying to find an alternative to the Corps, something that allows you to go and help somewhere for 3 months or something. I'd be willing to pay for travel to and from just the housing needs to be paid.

5. well heinous made a thread about http://www.wwoof.org

if you havent heard of it, its basically where you pay for your flight to pretty much any country in the world, and you work on an organic farm for a few hours a day for no pay, but in exchange you get a room to sleep and free meals daily... also, its a great chance to travel the world while helping people out

i plan on wwoofing in costa rica summer '09... it will be my first time so i'm looking forward to it..

6. Yeah I know all about vagabonding, I'm trying to do something where I can give back to the international community.