Volcano Vaporizer vs. Iolite Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by 52Lewis20Reed, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Which one should I buy with my limited income?

2. Limited income is not going to get you a volcano unfortunately. Keep in mind a lot of the iolite products use butane for their heat source, so you if you have concerns about what your inhaling, probably not a good way to go. Personally I would recommend one of the Vapir NO2 portables. Small, lightweight, can be purchased w/ car charger, battery life lasts about an hour or more if you have to be portable, very user friendly, and high quality pieces, can be found on eBay for $100-110 new w warranty. Love mine.

3. Goddammit the Volcano looks so damn awesome -__-

4. #4 lwien, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011
    Considering how many great vapes there are on the market, why are you limiting yourself to just those two?

Also, one is a home vape and the other is a portable? Do you really need a portable? Do you need a vape to use when you are out and about? If so, that leaves out the 'Cano.

Is bud conservation and efficiency high on your priority list? If so, that leaves out both the Volcano and the Iolite.

Lots of other things to consider when purchasing a vape. Those are just a few.

A lot of the Iolite products? There is only one Iolite. It is made by Oglesby & Butler Ltd. O & B is also coming out with the Wispr. So I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "lot of the Iolite products.

And why do you believe that there are concerns with what you are inhaling with the Iolite? If you're concerned about the butane, it is totally isolated from the vapor path with the end result of combusted butane being CO2 and H20, neither of which are toxic.

5. No but for people with chemical sensitivities particularly those with headache conditions, any smell, any trace could set off an attack. Ive seen different models of iolite, that's what I was referring too.

6. #6 bhang3, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
    Hang on, are you saying both the iolite and volcano are inefficient? The chamber in the iolite only holds around 0.1g anyway and a lot of people are satisfied with one session off it.

In terms of the volcano, I've used as little as 0.05g in there (when I was using once a day and not everyday) and gotten a pleasant enough effect.

By the way, bags are slight better in terms of less drying to lungs due to hot air. Only theorizing since when I used volcano bags, I've often taken 20mins with a bag and surely it cools during that time. Also, even if you're a quick user, due to the large surface area of the bag, there must be some cooling during the first min or 2. I've read about one chronic vaporizer person who said he was actually coughing up blood and was told by the hospital that he'd dried out his lungs too much from constantly vaping all day, every day. Volcano is hard to attach to a bong like some vaporizers though which would help offset the dryness issue and cool vapor if it's too harsh. However, here's a technique I mean to use when i get my volcano back:

Boiling water (filtered?) -> cover with towel -> inhale the vapor. Surely that would help rehydrate the lungs and offset any issues with dry lungs from vaping?

I would like to try using the volcano via a bubbler/bong as some people have done. It's not as easy as with something like the extreme q vaporizer and you loose some actives when putting vapor through water (apparently people say they need more bud for the same effect, hence the inference). I think the iolite can also be mod'd to work with a bong for cooling since the mouthpiece is quite small and there prob isn't much cooling going on from the 190C heating element to your mouth. I liked the iolite, and when I had both volcano and iolite, I often preferred the iolite due to ease of use. However, after being without my volcano for sometime and only using the iolite, I miss using the volcano. Both are efficient with 0.15g being a nice sesh.

7. i have an iolite, i use it most days and i love it. worth the money for sure.

8. No, not at all. Both the Iolite and the Volcano are more efficient than all other smoking devices. What I am saying is that there are more efficient vapes on the market than either one of them.

And I, as well as many others, use half of that, 0.025g in a Purple Days or MyrteZap and get totally toasted.

9. With the 0.025g, how many times are you able to use the bud? With my 0.05g I've been able to use it more than once and also still use it in edibles later. Still, I haven't used mine in over a year so I'll give some proper info once I get it back from my friend.

10. ^^ I get about 5 hits from that amount and I save the ABV for firecrackers. 2gr. of ABV in firecrackers does me just fine.

11. It's rude of me to respond without reading the whole thread, but I don't really have time right now and I feel the need to say...

THE IOLITE PRETTY MUCH BLOWS. It is somewhat okay but really not at all. If you are going for a portable vape the MFLB is hands down better. PLEASE do not buy an iolite. Ask me about my experiences with it if you want more info on why not to buy it, but I'd rather you just take my word for it and stay away.

12. Ok thanks for the relevant info. Each bag gives me around 5-7 hits, and as mentioned earlier, I use more than 1 bag per 0.05g as well as making edibles with the vaped bud. With my type of usage, in terms of economy, it sounds like I've getting the same economy as you. However I've had 5 years of volcano use to find that way for a mid-week sesh. Whereas the 0.15g vape is more suited for a Satuday afternoon sesh.

Next time I'm going to measure how much I'm using in my edibles rather than just eyeballing it.

How long were you using the iolite for? How full was the herb chamber and how finely was it ground? Also, how long would you hit it for on average before refilling? Was this your first vaporizer and have you tried others before? What was your tolerance like prior to trying out the iolite? Cheers, I'm sure potential buyers will find your response useful.