Vitamins

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Tenninethousand, Oct 6, 2008.

1. I've recently had the feeling of being unhealthy as I constantly eat Mcdonalds and whatnot everyday. I'm beginning to be more conscious on what I eat, and now i'm constantly running/working out. I'm just working, do Vitamins actually help? I've never taken them my whole life but I do remember friends when we were younger taking a "daily vitamin"...does that shit even work or is it just a waste of money?

2. If you have a balanced diet then you, in theory, will receive all necessary vitamins/minerals from food. Sometimes suppliments just contain more than you need. Fat soluable vitamins ( A, D, E and K) cannot be flushed out of your system if you have too many of them. The only vitamin suppliments I use are water soluable ones like vitamin C and B. I do take vitamin E too though. I do not necessarily notice any difference when I dont take vitamins, but you sure as hell do when you dont get any from food either.

So..you can live without them with a balanced diet, and no you probably won't notice any significant difference within a short period of time if you don't take vitamins.

3. Explain a "well balanced diet".

4. You know the food pyramid? Yeah..that.

Basically all the basic food groups and proper servings of each.
    http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx - you can use this website to make a custom food pyramid if you want a general idea on what to eat. Personally though, I'd just take vitamins supplements and just make sure you aren't getting an unnecessary amount.