visiting home isnt the same as it used to be

Discussion in 'General' started by paranormality, Oct 12, 2008.

1. well actually, its always been a bit like this.

i just turned 20, and was looking forward (kind of) to being able to participate in my first presidential election. my interest waned, however, when i dismissed both candidates as one and the same and simply began to await the coming apocalypse.

this being said, the real story begins when i decided to skip the college parties this weekend and visit my parents for a few days.

little did i know, my mom had intercepted the absentee ballot i applied for, and was holding it hostage contingent on my promise that i would vote for john mccain, who i've been vocally opposed to since he got the nomination.

she first demanded my vote months earlier, claiming i owed it to both her and my dad for supporting me up to this point despite two run-ins with the law. she has now gone ahead and taken it by force. she even mentioned forging it herself if i didnt cooperate. the next two hours consisted of multiple threats, lots of stomping and slamming doors, and ultimately in me backpedaling and burying my head in the sand to escape her wrath.

while i do feel indebted and grateful to them for not putting me out on the street during some tough times...most parents wouldnt do that unless their kid committed murder. they smoked pot too - people just didnt get busted for it back then.

is it just me, or is gratitude for love and support not at all related or equal to the unalienable right of each individual to cast a vote? or in my case, to choose to not cast a vote at all?

2. dude fuck that! if she forges it, take legal actions. vote for whoever you want to man or don't vote at all. shes crazy we don't need another republican anyway. vote obama just to cancel her vote out:p

3. dude, thats some gay shit. like seriously. i hear a lot in person and in the city about bullshit with peoples parents. but ive never heard of anyone jacking your right to vote. tell her that its unconsitutional and she has no right. and she cant accept it, refuse, and i mean REFUSE to argue about it and tell her you will not vote.

4. i mean, like i said, it doesnt really make any difference to me. i tend to be the kind of person to take a few steps back in order to prevent unpleasantness. not really the kind of person thatd take legal action against my mom :p haha, i agree its fucked up though

ultimately, the vote isnt what matters to me - its the way it all went down. my parents have always been neo-cons, and deep down i feel bad for them because theyre part of the brainwashed population that keeps the republican party alive.

however, when that party manages to exert so much force over them that it negatively affects the way they interact with their adult offspring, somethings gone wrong. nothing i can do, or really care to do, though...this years vote is going out to the maverick. sorry guys - i know obama will win anyways. i may have fought harder if he wasnt so far ahead in the polls :)

5. dude, i agree with the other posters. use the law if she does that :/

6. let her do what she wants, the votes dont matter anyway.

7. I dont get it? Mccain isnt even going to win. :confused:

8. McCain will win, obama never had a shot... poor guy.

9. #9 xcraighebert, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
    I dont know, everyone is predicting an obama win.
    I put all my money that smooth talking bobby brown, will win.

EDIT: yeah I just checked, as of now he has an 8 point lead. Obama will win.

10. #10 paranormality, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
    that's the way i feel, which is why im going to make it as painless as possible and give my vote away. if i won, i'd be the bad guy, and this way she remains the psychotic post-menopausal republican that i get to bitch about on weed forums...

after writing that, i feel like a hypocrite and realize im losing this battle, which does blow, thus why i created this thread. however, due to the lack of communication skills within this family and my repeat role as scapegoat, i just cant be bothered to stand up and fight.

11. I agree to disagree.

12. dude, tell them exactly what you're telling us. You definitely seem to know what you're talking about, not sure how they can't see your point. Thats what bothers me with my parents, no matter how old I get, they still seem to think theyre always right in debates/arguments with me.

13. i agree your vote doesnt matter either way. (unfortunately) but, still dont let your MOM take away your constitutional rights. you need to start drawing some lines man.

14. Dude, if there's anything I've learned, it's that your parents can go totally apeshit when it comes to politics. My mom is the most loving woman I could have for a parent, but she told me she thought she failed as a parent when she found out my sister was voting for Obama. That's so harsh on herself and on my sister over something like this. And the only reason she called me was to make sure I wasn't doing the same. I didn't let her down as much because I'm voting for Ron Paul, but shit, it shouldn't be that way to begin with.

15. Isn't that against the law?

16. wow, that's pretty insane for someone to get that worked up over getting you to cast a ballot that ultimately means nothing in the election.

it annoys me to even read it :( sucks man

17. Contingent on your promise? LOL

Say you'll vote for John McCain, and then send in a vote for whoever you want.

18. Damn I've never seen or heard this before, that's crazy to try and take your vote.

19. Yeah, that's pretty illegal.

I wouldn't want to press charges on my mom either, but my right to vote I would kill for.

20. FUCK MCCAIN...Would just like to get that out real quick...and I couldn't deal with your parents...take legal actions. Or just say "yes mother, I will vote McCain" Then as soon as you vote for whoever you choose tell her...I'd pay to see her face.