Virginia Legislature Considers Decriminalizing Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by NaKz, Jan 15, 2010.

1. From NORML.ORG:
    Virginia Legislature Considers Decriminalizing Marijuana
    NORML is pleased to announce that House Bill 1134, which seeks to amend marijuana possession and cultivation offenses, has been pre-filed for the 2010 legislative session.
    This measure seeks to amend present criminal marijuana penalties in several ways.
    The bill would reduce minor marijuana possession penalties from a criminal misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail, to a civil infraction punishable by a fine-only.
    The bill would create a rebuttable presumption that a person who grows no more than five marijuana plants grows marijuana for personal use and not for distribution, an offense punishable by a $500 civil penalty. Under present law, marijuana cultivation in any amount is classified as a felony offense, punishable by between 5 and 30 years in jail and a $10,000 fine.
    The bill removes the two-year mandatory sentence for those found guilty of the distribution of less than one ounce of marijuana. House Bill 1134 also removes the the five-year mandatory minimum sentence for those found guilty of the distribution of more than one ounce of marijuana.
    The bill also raises the quantities necessary for punishment of possession with intent to distribute so as not to punish amounts that may be possessed for personal use.
    Passage of HB 1134 would spare minor marijuana offenders from criminal arrest and incarceration, as well as the emotional and financial hardships that follow. The measure would allow also law enforcement, prosecutors, and the courts to re-allocate their existing resources toward activities that will more effectively target serious criminal behavior and keep the public safe.
    Please contact your state representative and urge him or her to support HB 1134. For your convenience, a pre-written letter will be e-mailed to your state House member when you visit here:
    Contact Officials - NORML
    NORML looks forward to working with its state affiliates and other allied organizations in favor of these common sense reforms.
    Thank you for your support of NORML's marijuana law reform efforts in Virginia.
    Sincerely,
    The NORML Team

Chop chop people!

2. So when will this be voted on? Seems like every state around me (Maryland) is getting better MJ laws. DE is talking medical, Jersey just got medical, DC got medical, and now VA might decriminalize. Come on Maryland!

3. No clue, but I was sure VA would be one of the last to decriminalize or legalize. This is a huge leap.

4. Haha my god the walls are just crumbling all around it seems...

5. for real this is surprising news for our bible thumping state

6. Oh HELL yes im from VA, i didnt know our own pounishments were that strict. yikes, if be fucked if i got caught

7. #7 morefreedom, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
    Yeah some people will see this as the coming of the antichrist

8. yeah virginia!

9. I clicked the "contact your representative" button at NORML when I first read this but have yet to get a reply. I doubt this will pass (especially if McDonnell comes into office anytime soon), but there is a small chance if it passes before he is in office.

10. contacted my official... SHIT i had no clue the punishments were this fucking strict in my area!

11. im from va and deff didnt know the punishments were that harsh. holy shit.

12. I just emailed my delegate. Everyone should do the same! Lets get this passed for real.

13. fuck yea VA you can bet my stoned ass will be up in the morning to vote for that! when and if this passes Im going to give Fairfax county police a big "Fuck You!" I allready got a bunch of people I know in VA to vote for this if it gets on the bill.

14. I don't think this is something the people get to vote on. It's the VA legislature that will vote on this

15. Damn those are some rough penalties, best of luck to all you tokers in VA

16. Exactly, so everybody needs to email their delegate!

17. #18 Deleted member 247773, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
    delete

18. This is awesome. I'm gonna start a helluva grassroots movement. Who would've thought? I want to find more on this and on California's recent vote. :D:D

19. this would be so great. i have emailed every single delegate from virginia, and everyone should do the same. the only really big asshole standing in our way is delegate Manoli Loupassi. he is a jackass. you can email all members of the committee here. LIS > Bill Tracking > Committees > 2010 session