Vinyl/Records/Wax appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by kapn0batai, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Let me start off by saying, nothing sounds better than vinyl, except maybe being at a live show. But as far as personal listening sound quality goes there's nothing sweeter to the ears than a needle on a spinning vinyl and of course the music that comes along with it. All my dear, rare, important records were stole from my apt a few years back over 500 records (estimated $2,000+) I am slowly starting to rebuild my wax collection again, have about 70-90 to my name.

I personally love going record shopping / hunting, there is usually a record out there that I want and will look everywhere to try and get my hands on it. Any other blades do the same?

Last ones I hunted for was M.I.A. set of Arular and Kala, I looked everywhere in town for it couldnt find it till I recently found them on Amazon just got them 2 days ago. I am currently on the hunt for the Original Hatful of Hollow by The Smiths for a reasonable price (nothing over $50). Also Outkast ATLiens.

I currently have a set of 2 Gemini turn tables hooked up to a pretty decent sound system which I use when I am jamming out, and I have an old vintage "portable" record player which basically has speakers inside and a/c adapter, I usually only use this one if I am listening to something more mellow or showing someone a track quickly.

Any other blades out there appreciate a good vinyl?

2. I love me some vinyl man; don't have too much but I love that real gritty poppin' sound you get from 'em.

That last piece of vinyl I picked up was DJ Muggs vs. Gza / Genius - "Advance Pawns / Destruction Of A Guard" (12" Vinyl Single Record).

3. I do love me a good vinyl record. While my collection isn't huge, it's definatly growing. My most recent vinyl purchase was the new Moby album "Wait for Me," it's incredible off vinyl, it becomes a much more immersive experience. My favorite in my collection is my original press mint condition copy of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. No record stores in my current town though :(. I've got to drive an hour home for the closest place that'll sell vinyl, and they only sell old stuff.

4. SPLHCB Nice!! I used to have that one in my old stuff :/ one of my dear ones. It sucks there is no record stores in your town, I live in Miami, and there is like 3 or 4 not that many and they are all located in bizzare parts of town. And only 2 of them sell "newer" vinyls and those are the furthest ones.

5. I love me some vinyl. Recent pickups include Crack the Skye, My Arms, Your Hearse, Mahavishnu Orchestra (Apocalypse and The Inner Mounting Flame), and a sealed 2003 remaster of DSOTM. My TT cost me a total of $60 (just for the new cartridge, it's my dad's TT.) And it sounds excellent, even with my relatively bad phono stage/preamp. There is absolutely nothing like the sound of virgin vinyl through a nice headphone system.

6. hell yea man, ive been gettin into vinyl a lot lately, just got black sabbath paranoid the other day actually. love it.

7. Man, I love me some vinyl.

I love diggin', and I will always take the time to look through a crate of records. I've got about 25-30 LP's.

I've got a few in the mail right now, Madvilliany, Dilla's Donuts and Mayer Hawthorne's heart shaped 45 (I'm especially stoked for this one.) I'm hoping to get some direct drive turntables and a mixer and start spinning records too.

Some of my favorites are orignial pressings of Curtis Mayfield's Superfly and Biggie's Ready to Die.

Yeah man, vinyl rules.

D o G

8. vinyl is the shit

9. yeah i have some vinyls, lots of 80s alternative, goth, pop music, funk..

[​IMG]

edit: i have every post-touring beatles album, that makes me happy.

10. very nice collection man.

11. i wish my parents left me some vinyl, everything i have i had to collect on my own. my parents suck!

12. yeah, i knew what you meant. my parents apparently threw away their record collections when they bought a house. parents are boring pathetic people.

13. I am my mother's child as far as musical taste go, ahe was really into the 60's 70's 80's back when she was younger and a total music addict alot of my old favorite records were the ones she gave me when i showed the interest in vinyl. BUT all the records she gave me were the ones that were stolen LAME :/ but anyway here a little piece of my room, you can see my my wax, one of mt TT, crates on the left with records, i usually out the sleeve of the album I am currently listening to on the TT cover, sorry for crapppy camera phone pic:
    [​IMG]

i need new crates:
    [​IMG]

14. my wall was knda like that for a while

[​IMG]

15. yeeeaah, I had it like that with the sleeves in my college dorm room, but when i moved out i wanted to change up the styles, ***don't worry none of the records on the wall have any real $$$ value they are known singles and such, dont want to risk warpped vinyl, I hate when that happens.***

16. yeah the ones on my wall are thrift store vinyl haha

17. FOR SURE!! haha its mainly just just for looks.

18. i used to collect rare punk records, test presses, tour editions, colors, alternate pressings, etc. it's an awesome feeling to listen to your favorite music on vinyl. especially with a pair of those big ass over the ear headphones, getting hypnotized by the dots on the platter as they spin.

19. you sell them?

20. [​IMG]

Just got this and it's amazing. :smoke: