Videogames are emotions...

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by McSoap, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Video-games... A form of entertainment? Maybe. A hobby? Sure. A stimulator of emotions? Absolutely.
    Think about it.
    What is a videogame? Are you really paying for a virtual adventure? NO
    In a video game all it is is input and output with some coordination requirements. When you play black ops you're just pressing buttons, when you turn the tv off it's still all happening without you noticing, and what you do press has a reaction on the sound and video. Pure Audio and video stimulation, with some physical touch stimulation with controllers. So when you're buying a game you're buying sound and video that you control in ways.
    Any thoughts ?

2. I feel like video games these days are almost getting to be too real. I mean, people don't get addicted to gaming, people get addicted to the experience of gaming, the way it reacts with your senses, the emotions it's so good at bringing out. People play video games to be challenged, to accomplish something bigger than themselves. I think all (well maybe not all) gamers realize that what they're playing is just a computerized model of something, they do it because it keeps them entertained. It's the only form of entertainment where something not physically attainable becomes available to the masses, and it takes time and effort to do this. I mean people have died recently playing video games for 24-72 hours straight. When something becomes that engaging, there's an issue. At what point do we say enough is enough and quit progressing at such a rapid pace?

Sorry for the rant. I'm stoned.

3. [quote name='"goldenstatety"']I feel like video games these days are almost getting to be too real. I mean, people don't get addicted to gaming, people get addicted to the experience of gaming, the way it reacts with your senses, the emotions it's so good at bringing out. People play video games to be challenged, to accomplish something bigger than themselves. I think all (well maybe not all) gamers realize that what they're playing is just a computerized model of something, they do it because it keeps them entertained. It's the only form of entertainment where something not physically attainable becomes available to the masses, and it takes time and effort to do this. I mean people have died recently playing video games for 24-72 hours straight. When something becomes that engaging, there's an issue. At what point do we say enough is enough and quit progressing at such a rapid pace?

Sorry for the rant. I'm stoned.[/quote]

Real words bro ^ I feel the same way. I wish more games were like Journey... A couple of hours to beat but you'd be satisfied nonetheless because it's an amazing experience you can't have in real life , and every time you play you reminisce and have a all new experience at the same time. Game companies should shoot for making video games that invoke emotions we can't usually feel and put us in scenarios only our imagination has been in. Not for innovation in graphics and bullet time.

4. I totally agree man. They're supposed to be a total escape from reality, so why do they feel the need to put us smack dab in the middle of it? I want to fly around on a fuckin dragon, and steal cars and rob prostitutes just cause I can. I don't want to get killed by some 13 year old throwing a hyper realistic grenade 2 miles.

5. Games won't be real enough until we have Holodecks.

6. A journey? Metroid! Or Zelda and Mario I guess. But still Nintendo did their single player games right. They are a journey, like the op said video games are emotional and nintendo makes them like a roller coaster.

7. When I was young, anytime I was upset or sad or angry, I'd journey myself through the world of Super Mario and each level felt like an emotion or obstacle in my life I'd have to overcome. I believe video games mimic our happiness and that is why we will always have video games