Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Very irritable when not smoking

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by habmoh13, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Hi guys, firstly thanks for taking the time to read this and any help/advice will be much appreciated. I started smoking around 1 and a half years ago, and I've progressively gone from smoking 0.5g about twice a week with my cousin and a friend to smoking 0.5g alone once a day now for the last few months. I tend to stick to smoking at night after I finish work.

Anyway the problem I'm having is when I don't smoke, I've noticed recently since I've started smoking more that I am so irritable during the day when I'm not smoking. At first I didn't realise it was to do with smoking, I thought it's to do with a lack of sleep due to working long hours and I'll get over it if I start sleeping better. Now I sleep more but making sure not to oversleep and I still have crazy mood swings throughout the day. Today was the last straw, I had a big argument with my girlfriend and looking back now, I finally understand that due to prolonged heavy use (in my opinion, for me this is heavy use) I've started reacting so aggressively towards the most minor things.

Anyway I'll cut to the chase, I know and understand that I need to either stop smoking or cut down how much I smoke drastically because the last thing I want is to get angry at everyone I'm around all day everyday. What I'm confused about is whether I should stop permanently or whether cutting down to smoking just on the weekends is advisable even though I literally rage at people since I've started smoking more?

I don't want to stop smoking, it's enjoyable, but I have no issue quitting for good so if that's what's advisable then that's what ill do. I just want to know really if there's anyone who can advise whether simply cutting down back to just smoking on weekends will help me stop having crazy mood swings throughout the day or whether I should stop for good?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

2. Try using an edible for day time - they stay in the system longer and may help to curb those nasty feelings

3. Sorry I probably should have clarified more but I didn't want my post to be crazy long. I'm from the UK and I smoke joints, never experienced edibles before, nor do I want to be consuming even more to help me get past those feelings throughout the day. If smoking as a whole is the reason for those feelings then instead of consuming more, I'd either like to consume less if that's a possible fix or stop consuming completely.

I'm just wanting to know whether anyone whose experienced irritability due to prolonged use has been able to get over those feelings by cutting down use or is it simply a matter of having to give up completely if I want to stop feeling the way I do when I'm not high. Consuming more is simply not an option, I feel I consume too much already which is the reason I'm like this in the first place so I'd rather not contribute to the problem by consuming even more.

4. #4 EnlightenedToker, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    I'm the same way and I'm generally a very easy going person. Considering this, the levels of irritability that I often experience are almost shocking to me. It gets really bad for the first few days into taking a break... luckily i have good self control.

I also only smoke at night. Cutting down my use completely gets rid of the problem. I can even still smoke on a nightly basis but just not as much.

I'm not sure if the .5 you smoke is throughout the night or all in one session, but dropping to .25 a night should make a world of difference. Or like you said, just smoking on the weekends.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the reply bud. I'm also not in a position to be able to smoke all day hence it's not like I can go smoke up when I'm feeling frustrated. Nor do I want to be in a position where I'm reliant on weed and can't go a day without smoking just because im afraid of lashing out at people (hence the unwillingness to increase my usage). I think from now on I will be sticking to weekends only or as you said cutting down from smoking 0.5g per joint to around 0.25g per joint (I only smoke one a night normally before I go to bed so if anything that will also save me money).

6. I stay high so I’m not an asshole

7. The problem is there is no one answer as each of us has different genetics, chemistry, disposition and sensitivity... What is apparent for anyone who uses daily a substantial amount is that it is a crutch and often an escape (buy suppression) mechanism.

i speak from experience as i've gone through periods using alcohol daily... not huge amounts but 2 to 4 drinks daily with meals... it was a habit but also an escape from dealing with whatever would have come up without the suppressive effect booze has...

i've also gone through short periods of using cannabis a bit too much and steadily but for me a gram would last 2 weeks. lol low tolerance...

As far as quitting cold turkey or taking a break and starting back in moderation, it depends on your disposition and resourcefulness... some would start back with good intentions then in weeks or months be full blown back to before the break...

Maybe some CBD dominant with a trace of THC if that would help ease you off of the THC or back to smoking AFTER a break of a week or 2..... but if the break is too much then before... only thing is where you are it could be difficult to find really clean CBD.

8. Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah I understand what your saying about weed suppressing things you would normally deal with and you tend to skim over problems when your smoking. The only problem with that is that I have no real problems or stress, I work full time and have plenty of money saved up. I'm still living with parents who never give me a hard time and I've been in a relationship for 5 years hoping to get married next year and buy a house. I literally don't see any reason for me to be feeling anxious and frustrated at the smallest things people do when I'm not smoking but I guess the first step is to admit there is a problem and identify that it's to do with smoking.

I think I'm going to have a break for the next few days until the weekend and maybe smoke on the weekend with my cousin and as long as I feel okay during the week when I'm not smoking then I'll stick to weekends only. If however I lash out at people and feel angry all day then cold turkey quitting is what it's going to be and to be honest I have no problem with that, I smoked weed cos it was an enjoyable way to spend time but when the fun stops you should probably stop.

9. I think you already know the answer. The more you smoke the more irritable you become? Stop smoking seems to be the obvious answer but you may have other things going on in your life. Clear your head, take stock of what you have and where your life is going, I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. If it's not deep subconscious issues like suppressed anger when you were 2 yrs old... it could be simply the contrast of how you feel high vs "normal"... i've been dependent so much in the past that i couldn't even take a shower without taking a few tokes as it was much more enjoyable to shower high than "normal"... same for exercising or just going out and doing anything...

Also have in the past been dependent like that on feeling the need for a beer or 2 before doing something as if it made the activity more enjoyable... Could be anything, even blood sugar or chemicals in the brain that cause us to feel stuck in a rut or in your case irritable without the buzz...

Seems like you are clear headed enough to stay on top of it and see what works or doesn't until you get through this though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Yeah I've decided to stop smoking as a whole. Thought I may as well write a final post in case anyone reads in the future and is stuck facing the same issues. I'm suffering from headaches, and irritability but it's only been today and yesterday that I didn't smoke and today making an active effort to not be frustrated at people has helped me so hopefully these withdrawal symptoms will pass soon enough and I can go back to being "normal" thanks again for the help everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Microdose

Sent from my couch

13. @habmoh13 As i may have mentioned and you likely realized, each of us is unique... you are far from alone as the only person who gets edgy and irritable without a bit of a buzz... it is common after years of using... they say there is no addiction to cannabis and no withdrawal symptoms but that is too broad of a statement... can't apply to everyone...

Many can stop drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco with no problem when the time is right... more can do the same with pot but not all... those of "us" with an addictive personality or some chemical dependence due to possibly endorphins being out of whack or whatever do often feel more "normal" and centered with a buzz on than clean...

It is common for these similar symptoms to occur when it comes to coffee or caffeine withdrawal, headaches and irritability as well.. could even happen stopping Diet Coke... lol

To stay centered you can just BE HERE NOW and there are countless tricks to do that... easy one is watch or be aware of your breathing... can be done while driving, walking, jogging, working, reading, etc...

We are the Witness to the appearances, even to these terrestrial devices for communication and transportation (the physical bodies)... However we are NOT them, they are our tools... so best not identify with the tool or you could feel like one... lol

Count 5 breaths on the Out Breath, once you complete 5 begin again with 1 - 5.. rinse and repeat for a total of 5 sets of 5... i assure you that by round 2 or 3 you will already be much much more centered and less edgy than when you began...

i don't think i've ever made it a complete 5 rounds without either losing track and starting over again or more often than not feeling like any more reps were not needed...

All the best of luck to you.

14. I think I may have given everyone the wrong impression by not wording things correctly. I don't smoke all day everyday, I smoke literally one joint per day at night, and I'm either out somewhere when I smoke or I smoke in my car and then walk back in to the house.

Anyway with that being said, I should have made more clear that recently I've gone from smoking one joint with about 0.3g of weed in it to smoking 2 joints maybe 3 in a night, hence I've probably been taking in more THC than im used to which is making me have withdrawal symptoms throughout the next day when I don't smoke until night time. I think if I have a weeks break and then go back to smoking 1 joint per night or even just smoking at night on the weekend and not smoking throughout the week then I should stop feeling these withdrawal symptoms.

I've basically gone from having productive days and smoking 1 joint at night, waking up fine the next day and not feeling angry at the world to smoking 2 or 3 joints a night and waking up the next day feeling like hulk. I think the last few weeks I've just abused weed in the sense that I've been taking in a lot more THC daily than what I'm used to and due to the increase it's giving me withdrawal symptoms during the day time when I don't smoke.

Am I correct to think that if i do cut down how much thc I intake by reducing the amount I smoke significantly, this should in turn result in me going back to being happy throughout the day and being able to smoke my 1 joint per night without having withdrawal symptoms such as anger the next day?

15. Sounds like there is way more going on (or lack of )in your life that needs to be addressed. Cannabis won’t fix anything. I does however, inhance how you feel. I’d work on more areas in your life to make it a little more rounded. Then bud can enhance the “happy” already there.

16. @habmoh13 Your plan to take a week off then begin with 1/3 of where you ended up (daily dosing) sounds like it's worth a try but as RebornB mentioned there are always underlying factors be it individual nervous system, chemistry, psychology, etc.

But the reason i take breaks is due to gradually increasing daily use and over a period of time it seems like everything is amplified to the point of feeling hypersensitive to sights & sounds as well as any bodily sensation.. little stabbing pains in the head or chest.. i can do without those annoyances so i back off... CBD oil has not worked for me as a replacement either at least what i tried a few days... it's hard to dose correctly when the recommendation is to start with a tiny "dot"... too easy to get a tiny glob of a few dots... including the small amount of THC lol

Good luck.

17. My question is why do some people have a problem with this?

18. No idea man I grew up around a group of ppl that were high 24/7 and I always wondered how they functioned because I only smoked on weekends or at night as a teen.
    Once I started smoking for pain/mood stabilizer I realized its not that hard to function and still have a productive life. Ppl around me and myself benefit from me staying medicated and they all support me using because they’ve seen me at my worse.
    Only ppl close to me know I use cannabis ppl at work have no clue, 99% of my fam don’t know, shit half my friends don’t know. I’d bet if I went to work sober they’d assume I was high n wanna test me.

19. Easy answer is not all of us have the same tolerance level to THC and compare our own experiences when we hit it a bit too much "for us"... years ago i was called out for acting alarmed at the amount one member used and have since remained silent on the subject despite many jaw drops...

Whatever floats your boat... if you or anyone wants to be high 24/7 and it works for you then more power (and weed) to you.... i would prefer that myself than trying to find the delicate balance that keeps me in a comfort zone...

20. Well, I just know that most folks around me don't like that I smoke a lot (in reality it's not that much) but they seem to really notice when I'm not smoking at all. It's very obvious to those around when I'm not smoking, yet they still don't like the fact that I smoke between an eighth and a quarter a week. Most of us here know it's really not that much.

You know, it seems to calm down the world around (or at least my view of it) and instead of hating everything, which is a character trait I've had all my life, it makes my outlook a little less rigid. It's hard to deny that it helps.

• Like Like x 1