Very 1st Grow, Very Slow Growth, Please Help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Kytos, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Hey, I am an absolute beginner and this is my first grow.

I am attempting to grow Automatic Blueberry, and their progress has been very discouraging.

My setup is a closet grow with two fans for internal circulation and my intake is an AC at an open window across the bedroom from my grow. I tried putting in a vent fan at the bedroom door adjacent to the closet but the temp jumped from 75 to 85, so I decided temperature was more important than ventilation so no vent. Maybe you guys can set me straight about that. Anyway, here's my setup:

400w Switchable Metal Halide(From height of 1 1/2 ft)
    Sunshine Grow Mix#4
    7 Gallon Pots with drainage pots
    2 Oscillating Fans
    6 seedlings that should be entering the veg state but look like they just popped

The temp is on average 70-80, and the humidity hovers around 40%-50%
    I water once every 2-3 days with light drinks and mistings once per day.
    I have used a very small amount of ferts(fox farm marine cuisine), maybe 50ppm, to see if that might be the problem, and to no avail.
    They have been transplanted twice, but have been in their new homes for several days now with no noticeable progress. The most I can say is that most have popped their second set of true leaves, but this was before the transplanting.
    Another minor detail, I orginally started the first 3 in coco fiber, and for the next two switched to Sunshine Grow mix #4, and when I transplanted them all to their new homes, which were giant poits of sunshine grow mix, I took the first three's original coco fiber medium with them into the grow mix. Would that have some effect?

Okay, so here are the pics. This is at day 15! Hard to believe right?

Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/neimg2406j
    Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/ndimg2407j
    Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/neimg2408vj

Anyway, any help you Gurus could give me would be much appreciated. Happy toking fellas.

2. You transplanted them all to the same pot? In your first pic I see 2 plants in the same pot, if so you are going to have trouble when they get mature. 1 plant per pot is a golden rule.

Also, you said you transplanted them twice already at such a young age. Transplanting shocks the plant and it usually takes a few days to a week for the plant to recover fully and start growing again.

They do look fine though, don't try to rush them because it won't work.

3. Thank you for the advice. I know that is the golden rule, but I have found many growers who haven't had any difficulty with it if the pots are large enough, and mine are very large, and I am already over budget so this is what I had to do.

Up to a week to continue growth? Really? That's good news, thank you.

4. Yeah most people transplant only once or maybe twice during their entire grow so doing so twice already put the plants under unneeded stress and that's most likely why they aren't really growing, at least visually. Just relax and let them have time to adjust and they will show you what they can do :D

5. That helps me breathe easier, I was hoping that was the problem. How bad would it be if I planted my next harvest straight into their destination pots in the first place so I could avoid completely transplant shock?

6. It pretty much comes down to your preference of growing it. Some people start in 1 pot and finish in 1 pot. Others, like myself, start small and work up to bigger pots. Personally, I feel that starting in a party cup or 1 gallon pot then moving up to a 3 gallon for vegging then a 5-6 gallon for flowering is the best way. This lets the rootball get nice and big so when you do transplant, the plant has a very well developed root system to work with.

7. don't use fertilizer.
    two transplants at such a small size are not advisable. lots of stress.
    sunshine grow mix rpobably has nutes in it as well, i'm guessing.
    you want somewhat neutral soil at this point. poor babies. hope they get better.