Venting Exhaust Air Garage through Bathroom Fan

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by paintballerb2k, Jun 21, 2012.

1. #1 paintballerb2k, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
    Hello everybody. So I moved my grow tents to the garage because I could not deal with them crowded around me in my room. I originally had the tents exhausted out the window but there is no window in my garage. There are two external vents already built in there - 1.) Dryer exhaust vent and 2.) bathroom ceiling fan.

I really don't want to join both the dryer and tent exhaust through the dryer port. I want to exhaust the tents through the ceiling bathroom fan but have a few questions.

Should I remove the actual ceiling fan entirely, join the ducts together and try to seal off the ceiling some how with that metal piece I bought at OSH? Or should I try to hook up my exhaust tent fan through the ceiling fan? Any other thoughts?

P.S. I would rather not go up into my black widow infested attic if at all possible - which I believe would be mandatory to remove the ceiling fan entirely?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Do you have an inline fan already that you are using to move air out of the rooms? I personally would take the ceiling fan out and hook the ducting right to it and just have my inline force air out. Those air vent fans arent really powerful.

On the other hand, if removing the fan means dealing with spiders then fuck that. Fuckin spiders...

3. Lol especially black widows! Nasty!

I actually have two inline fans for each tent (4" for the vegger and 6" for the flowering tent) that I connect together using a Y piece. I guess my main question would be if it is possible to force more air through the ceiling fan than it is possible of sucking in alone. If not how do I take that ceiling fan apart? I unscrewed everything possible from underneath but it won't budge. Is it common to have ceiling fans connected to something above in the attic?

4. Cieling fans are usualy screwed or nailed in from up in the attic.

5. I did take a peek inside the attic and saw the ducting I am looking for that connects straight to the roof - along with some huge dark thick spider webs. I believe your right, there are a couple screws holding down the ceiling fan housing from up above (FML).

I just set off one of those pesticide foggers in there so hopefully it will kill all the nasty spiders (maybe I should have set two off?). Then tomorrow i'll just have to grow some balls and crawl up there lol.

Here's a couple more pictures. I managed to take out the actual fan motor so you can see where the duct connects to the fan housing. I guess I could destroy the housing to get to the duct without going in the attic. But then the fan would not be functional later on If I ever wanted to convert it back.

Attached Files:

6. #6 tplat, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012

You and my nephew got one thing in common, wusses around spiders:p. Come over to my place and I`ll let you hold my pet tarantula. Dont worry when she doesnt want to be held she lets you know two ways, first she will start spinng some spider web on you and second she will walk over to one of your knuckles and tap it twice with her fang. After that you got about a minute to put her back in her tank. She`s a Rose hair tanrantula their about the most laid back of the various types of tarantulas. Dont worry she`s only done that to me twice in the 10 years I`ve had her.:D

7. That fan is connected to the duct obviously, so you'll have to remove the fan, then just seal up around it..Fortunately I wouldn't have to crawl into an attic as mine is easily removable. Sounds like you have no choice but to go up there..Since you set off foggers they should all be dead ^_^ at least you have it well off. Already have a pre-drilled hole to exhaust from. Only thing is removing the fan and connecting the two exhaust. Basically that bathroom fan is mounted within a frame..If you can get by without actually removing the entire frame that would be nice.

8. Haha think I would pass on that one. I've never seen a tarantula in my life and could not imagine holding one. Whenever the cable guy would come over and has to go underneath the house I always think to myself "You couldn't pay me enough to get under there" lol.

After taking one more look at the ceiling fan housing and moving it around back and forth I actually managed to remove it! It wasn't actually screwed down to anything, just was sitting on the wood in an odd position. One end was locked in while the other was able to get pushed upwards. Kind of hard to explain but I pushed it up and set it down on the sheet rock.

I then simply spliced the two ducts together and sealed off the hole with duct tape. Definitely not the most professional job but I got it done. Now I can take that metal roof thing back to OSH where I paid $30 for it - what a rip off!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my thread. Hopefully this will help someone else in the same position as me - I tried googling this situation previously but found nothing even close!

BTW I don't know why all my pictures come out sideways but i'm too lazy to fix them.

Attached Files: