Ventilation with pc fans in 2x2x5 tent

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Mozalpete, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Hello people,

I will use a 13 galon fabric pot in a 2x2 tent as a no-till bed for 2-3 plants. There is not much room left for regular ventilators which on the ground, and I want to aim the vent to move the air from under the plant. Not digging the noise most of the clip fans make so I was thinking if I can use some good 20-25db pc fans to move the air in my tent. My questions are: How much cfm should I look for at total? Which pc fans are most silent and reliable? Is there someone who ventilates their 2x2 tent with pc fans who can share their set-up with me?

2. Cheapo pc fans move plenty of air but why not get a few normal oscillating fans. Run bungee ropes across the poles of your tent and cross them where you want to mount fans...clip the fans onto the bungees and they should be fairly rigidly locked in the position you want them but with virtually no noise.

• Like Like x 1

3. I used these to keep my 200 watt CFL filled original grow boxes cool.
    [​IMG]

120 volt 110 CFM. Local hydro shop had them in stock.

BNW

4. So 2 of these would do the same job if paralel wired to 12V 0.5 amps (74cfm Each). These are easly availible at where I live and cheaper than Amazons price.

5. They come in a wide range of both voltages 12 V, 115 V, 240 V and CFM.(cubic feet per minute)
    BNW

6. How far do they blow? Are they enough for the plants to move around for their entire life? Oh and how is the noise?

7. I got this as a exhaust fan but it sucks up too much air for my likings at this point. I'm already having hard time keeping the tempratures high and this changes the air every 3 minutes or so. I want to connect it to fan speed controller but I heard not every speed controller is same. Can anyone tell me what type of dimmer switch or speed controller should I look for?

8. While I did have an internal fan at first I found the exhaust fan had them waving in the wind anyhow and soon removed the internal fan.
    The higher the CFM the louder the fan will be.
    Don't use a dimmer. You'll need an actual motor speed controller. They are about twice the cost of a standard dimmer.
    Keep in mind not all fans are speed controllable without overheating and damage. Look for a compatible unit.
    [​IMG]

BNW

9. I'm not living in US so most of the items at amazon.com doesn't ship to where I live. And most of them are not on amazon.co.uk either. I checked my exhaust fan on their offical website and it says I can use "thyristor speed controller". Is that basically same speed controller in most of the vacuum cleaners and drills?

Thanks for helping by the way.

10. Thyristor is Silicon controlled rectifier. It has high power rating and is robust and is usually fit for phase-angle control. It can be switched On/Off to control the voltage supply to motor used in flux-based speed control methods or can change the frequency of supply to an AC motor to control speed accordingly.

[​IMG]
    This is a Dayton version but you should be able to find a compatible unit in most any part of the world.
    BNW

11. Wow its 4 times the price of my fan. I guess not worth it, huh.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Shop around as some of them are far cheaper. Dayton is usually industrial rated and is never cheap.
    Check the local store for Ceiling fan controllers. Not sure if that'll work but it's worth checking out
    BNW