Ventilation (intake/exhaust)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PeacePipe17, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Hi I am converting my spare bedroom to grow 24 plants under (2) 1000 watt lights. I am planning on running the exhaust out of the ceiling. My question pertains to I take. As I draw air out of the room will the negative pressure draw new air in from somewhere? There is a heat register in the room. Only one. What would I need to do to provide air intake? A whole in the floor is not an option. On a side note. The room is roughly 12x12. Would I need more then (1) 400cfm fan? Thanks, I have a small grow setup in a walk in closet. I'm learning a lot and could use all the input possiblePeacepipeSent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I forgot to mention both hoods will be air cooled. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. You don't need to worry about an intake but you should get a larger fan to exhaust the room i would imagine.  People use 400 cfm fans for grow tents.  Are you worried about the heat or are you going to be running through a carbon filter?

4. No filter. Its for the heat and air quality. Heat is currently a problem in the room so I open a window but once I convert the room the windows will be sealedSent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. If you aren't directly pulling air into that room from the outside, then you will be pulling air in from the rest of your house. This means you will be sucking cold air into your living room or kitchen from outside and it might make your heating bill increase. It did for me. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. And how exactly are you cooling your lights?Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. how big are these 24 plants gonna be under 2kw of lighting?

8. I train by tieing. So 5 ft prolly max. The lights will be cooled by (2) ehaust fans running through them. They are cool tube hoods. I would say the heat and exhaust wont be an issue with what i have set up to rid the heat. but Im concerned about intake. Where will the fresh air be coming from?

lots of sketchy threads about this out there.. where the pros with the answers ;)

peacepipe17

9. #9 Xandur, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
    When you say 'heat is an issue,' how hot are we talking? Give us the range between peak of daytime heat, to nighttime lows.

The exhaust fan will create negative pressure which invariably pulls in air from wherever it can. If you have an air vent in there I suggest you clean it very well (as much as you can reach) and fit some sort of filter over it as well. The cleaner your air is, the lower your chances are for pests and mildew.

What is the intake end of your ducting connected to? Is it pulling air from the same room? Is it possible to run it through a wall to a different room? This would make the system more efficient and cooler. If you don't want to cut up your drywall, you can do what some do and find a cheap door (assuming the walk-in has a door) and cut a duct-sized hole out of it. When you're done (or you need to hide the room) you can put the current door back on easily. When we know more about temps, we can then see if you need a bigger fan. It's likely a bit small for air-replacement, but you may be able to work with it.

10. Hope no one mind me jumping in here with a related question.

I ordered a 32"x32"x63" grow tent, and have a couple of 300w LED panels on the way, which will go in. The volume of this tent works out to a cubic meter and change. I'd like to keep the fan and filter inside the tent, and believe a 4" setup would be more space efficient and enough with these cool light fixtures,

Any comments would be appreciated.