Various Problems at several stages!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by mashedmonkey, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi all, my first time grow and it appears that it's turning to shit.

I've obvious problems with each of the pictures below but even using 'The Bible' I'm struggling to identify the issues. One of my flowering plants has gone through so many discolouration problems that I just don't know how to pin it down.

I've had some personal family problems and have neglected my plants, I'm sad about this but not as sad as i am about my family problems, hence they had to take priority.

I'm growing in BioBizz All soil, using the full range of Canna nutes. Veg is under 125w of CFL and flower room is under 500w of CFL (2x250w). As far as I'm aware I have adequate ventilation. Veg room is 2'x2'x3 with a 80 cfm pc fan exhaust and passive intake. Humidity is around 30%. I haven't had a fan to move air around in there but have one coming in the next few days.

I'll only add the pic of one of my 5 clones which are all having the same problem of very pale green new growth. They were rooted in rockwool and then moved to soil. I'm giving them full strength nutes but only a little at a time, having said that they've only had two feeds so far.

If I can get this problem sussed I'll move on to the issues with the flowering plants and my desperately shite looking LSD plant which is vegging and being LST'd.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys, I'm sure one of you will take one look and experience will tell you wtf is going on.

By the way, water is always ph'd to between 6.2 and 6.4 and runoff is around the same. Lights in veg are a good 8" away from plants.

Thanks so much in advance.

Attached Files:

2. That sort of major yellowing only on new growth can happen when the temperature drops too low at night or on another regular basis.

3. Thanks Jelly, I'll keep an eye on temps tonight. It's 11pm here at the mo and my room is reading 79f, outside temp is 55f and isn't expected to drop lower than 45f tonight. We've had a very warm two weeks here in beautiful England and tonight is one of the recent coldest, so I would be surprised if the veg room temp with the light on 24/0 ever dropped too low.

I've had yellowing probs throughout the grow, with crispy necrotic leaves all over the place. Take a look at these pics of my flowering plant just coming into week 5. The leaf close up is from the left hand plant in the larger picture. The plant in the middle is only a week into flower and is just showing pistils but even she has shitty fan leaves, crisping up at the ends. I'll get better pics tomorrow when the lights are back on. Thanks for your input man.

Attached Files:

4. That's Phosphorus deficiency. Here's a pic of another plant that is also P deficient, just worse.

Attached Files:

5. Is there a quick (ish) fix to get P into the girl? I'd rather try something organic like bonemeal than resort to chemicals which may screw with other stuff. Thanks again Jelly.

6. You said it- Bone Meal is a great organic source of Phosphorus, as well as other nutrients. The other best sources of P imho are high-P Bat & Seabird Guanos.

For instant release, the solid fertilizers need to be made into a tea. I use a little heat when brewing tea, it helps more nutrients dissolve faster. Bone Meal especially doesn't dissolve easily in cool water and really gets the most out of a little heat. Cooked fertilizer teas are only heated until they start to steam a little, or until they feel hot to the touch without burning.

7. Ok, bonemeal tea for her breakfast then. Any recommendation on quantity for feeding?

8. By itself, most flowering plants can handle a dillution of about 1/2c per gallon of water at the top end. Since yours are deficient, I'd go with that measure unless they were just fed other nutes.

If you strain the solids out after brewing, do so while the solution is hot. Some nutrients will fall out of the liquid as it cools and you don't want to filter those out. Much of the Calcium, for example, may not dissolve easily in cold water. Filtering tea is not strictly necessary but multiple feedings will cause crap to build up on the soil surface.

Even the best method of making tea will only get so much out of the fertilizer, with a little left inside. These nutrients that won't dissolve by any means need to be processed by microbes (chelated) to be used by the plant. So, leftover solids from tea making are great for composts & outdoor gardening.

9. Ok, I took a look at the plants today and found that my 2 gallon (us) pots are getting pretty rootbound. I have repotted one into a 3 gallon pot and given it a 1 litre watering with the bone meal tea that you recommended, I'll give it a day and then give it a little more balanced water before it's next feed. If things improve then I'll do the exact same thing with the other two plants.

As for the vegging clones, I'll simply keep an eye on them for now and hope that things improve on their own with regular feeding.

I'll keep things updated. Thanks again.