Using timers

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by eastcoastghost, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Is it mandatory to use a timer ? Like is it okay if you turn your lights on / off 1-2 minutes late or early. I bought a timer from Walmart for $8 but I really don't understand how to use it .. Lol. I just started 12/12 yesterday and I don't know how to set up the timer I don't even know if I can trust it since it was cheap. Any body flower without a timer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. You can do it without a timer, but you're assuming that you will always be there at the right time to turn on/off the lights which is pretty risky if you ask me. Some of the timers are extremely complicated (to my simple mind), but there are others on the market that are very simple and easy to work. But I went through about 10 different kinds of the box store brands and never did find anything that would work that I could depend on. Inevitably, one would fail...we run quite a few lights. I finally had hubs build me one from a timeclock we bought at the electrical supply store. Luckily. he's an electrician and has the skills to do that kind of thing. It drove me nuts. I would not depend on myself because the schedule of the lighting is what triggers the plant to go through it's cycles and the timing is important. Getting the lights off schedule for a period of time can cause your plant to make seeds and I doubt you want that. I would go to a local electrical or industrial supply and ask them to recommend something that will endure more use and abuse than what the cheap ones at Home Depot will take. Good luck. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  3. In the mean time while I try to find a more reliable one, do you think it's okay if I'm a minute off ? My light on schedule is noon - midnight. So say if I was to turn them off at 12:01 am (1 minute after midnight) by accident will this be that much of a problem ? I know if I was to completely forget a whole hour late would be bad. But is a minute or two really that dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Look it up on YouTube.that's where i learned to use mine.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

5. This timer is really easy to use.. it's about $10 on ebay... hasn't ever let me down[​IMG][​IMG]

6. If you're a minute or two off you'll be ok. There will be times where you sleep in or just completely forget cuz youre binge watching flix..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

7. You'll want a timer. They're super simple, especially ones like that one above. Who the hell would want to be married to their grow and never be able to go anywhere for more then 12 hrs. Might be fun at first but it will suck eventually.

Titan timers are top notch, even their most basic one.

• Like Like x 1