Using Steel in hydro

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Marduk55, Dec 20, 2010.

1. I know it's not a wise idea to use copper in hydro. Is it safe for the plants to use steel? I apologize if this has been answered a lot of times. I attempted to try and find a thread via "search," but had no luck. I am making my own aero cloner, and I need a 1/2" PVC nipple to connect my pump to the PVC. Anyways it's not summer anymore so they didn't have a PVC nipple, so I bought a steel one. I figured I could get some good input from you guys. Thanks!

2. not the best idea. i did that in a home made cloner. i used a galvanized fitting because they didnt have plastic. i then wound up with a zinc overdose on my cutting. all of them failed. regular black iron will rust and make a iron overdose. just shop around until you find the part or find a couple others that can get the job done.

3. Thanks for the advice. I'll just have to get one online.

4. I haven't had a lot of luck hooking PVC to the 1/2" outlet on the water-pumps.
    My solution was to use 5/8" OD, 1/2" ID black tubing found in the drip irrigation section of Home Depot.

5. good point pvc thas tapered threads an the pump usually have straight threads. i snapped a pump a long time trying to put tapered pvc into the pump. luckilly it was a cheap pump. good call on that

6. If I actually had put some thought into that, I probably could have figured that out! (maybe)

I'm going this route since I had all of those materials already. Thanks a lot for your input.