Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

using steam

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by snowmonkey, Jan 12, 2014.

1. I was wondering if steam would remove the oil from buds. i have a commercial espresso machine, and was wondering what would the effects of steam be if I ground bud and made a tea? Anyone ever try?

2. If you mean you just mix you weed with your tea and make it like normal tea no it will not work. For your body to absorb the active chemicals in the weed they need to be mixed with something high in fat like oil, butter, peanut butter ect. What you could do is make tea with a tea bag that has weed and tea in it and melt butter or put oil in the water then put the tea bag in and stir for about five minutes and it should extract the thc from the weed. If you like milk in your tea you can put milk or cream in also and stir it good so more thc will be extracted. There is a weed tea thread on here that explains it really well but I hope that makes some sense.

3. Deepthree nailed it. I make my coffee by putting around a spoon of butter in a cup, then I put around .5g of hash or hash oil, then I pour my coffee, put it in the microwave for around 15 seconds, then stir it a little every minute or so for around 10 minutes, then I drink it. I have done this for the first time Friday. I have dabbed before and I can say I have never been higher than that cup of coffee. It was way too psychedelic, I liked it though. However I never could of survived the 6-7 hours the high lasted, at work or school.

4. #4 EugeneOregon, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017

Here is a steam co-distillation set up,that I use to purify dispensary grade extracts into nearly pure light thc oil. It is HIGHLY effective at purifying extracts using principles of co-distillation. Temperatures never exceed anout 98C in the head. This has a decided advantage over low pressure vacuum distillation via short path head insofar as it accomplishes the same thing at a much lower temperature, much lower noise level (no vac pump needed), much less technical expertise (no vacuum regulator/temperatur regulator to modulate the process), and by far much fewer $$$ spent on gear. All gear available on Amazon pretty cheap.

Just like when I have used my hobby gear to perform low pressure vacuum distillation via short path head, I have found that at least a second run through the distillation apparatus is necessary to remove the volitile organic compounds (VOCs) of the lower boiling point fraction that get held up and emulsified into the following fraction which is the thc oil. VOCs are hydrocarbons and THC is not. VOCs are commonly used as solvents in industry and represent also a key component involved in climate change and therefor in this regard are pollutants. The Cannabis industry refers to VOCs as "terpenes". The MSDS sheet on terpenes advise avoiding inhalation. "Terp"untine is a prime example of one good use for terpenes, as the prime component is alpha pinene which is also a prime component in many SCF extractions of marijuanna. While there is speculation that the terp content impacts the effects of the "high" in a positive way, this speculation is generally limited to the producers and processors websites as a way to downplay the presence of these VOCs in extract. Removal is extremely expensive as evidenced by the prices required just to purchase the gear to make "clear" concentrate. It is also labor intensive.

The trick to extracting thc oil is that the oil must be exposed to the steam to volitize and be carried away. If the oil is trapped inside plant material then the steam cannot volitize it. In the video my "steam injector" is a glass evacuation tube cut to size which injects the steam directly into the bottom of the extract puddle. The boiling flask containing the puddle is heated up to boiling temp by the heating mantle shown as well. The steam must flow through rapidly until it reaches the condenser. The condenser must not be run with cold water or the extract will hold up completely. I run off of tap water and set the water to the hottest setting that I can grasp the condenser with by bare hand. This keeps the oil moving through.

The answer to your question, "Can steam remove oil from buds?" is categorically, yes. The trick is exposing the oil to the steam which likely necessitates fine grinding first. My video is no proof of this because I start with SCF extractions from dispensary suppliers to begin with. but I can assure you that men have been extracting essential oils by steam co-distillation as far back as when the latest models of chariots started sporting bronze decals. The steam will also remove the VOCs in order of their boiling point. The first fraction smels like a cardboard pine tree air freshener although so potent so as to cause a gag response when smelled. It is colorless but seen as an oily sheen atop the water. I toss out all the terps extracted and try to judge when to stop the steam distillation before the limonene starts pulling over. Simple.