Using Liquid Nutrients in Soil

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Mr.NiceGuy, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Is using Liquid Nutrients in soil still as effective as using fertilizer?

I bought the Fox Farm Nutrients Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom because i was going to do hydro. But I had trouble with hydro so now i'm going soil. I was hoping i could use my nutrients for soil as well. I'm assuming i would just mix the nutes in with the water then water my plants with the solution.

Am i wrong in thinking this?

2. nope your exactly right.
    I'm growing soil and i'm going to use fox farms big grow or big bloom or tiger bloom in my soil, start at 1/4 strength of a normal dose and slowly work your way up.

3. FF Ocean Forest
    FF Grow Big
    FF Tiger Bloom
    400w HPS
    5 weeks into flowering
    Big Bud x (G13 x Hashplant)

I recommend adding garden lime to your soil. FF is low on calcium.

Attached Files:

4. depends did you buy the hydro version of FF or the soil version?

5. whats garden lime? that juice from a lime?

6. :D!!! Not exactly. Garden lime is mostly calcium and magnesium and oxide compounds of them. It acts as a soil conditioner to help keep pH fluctuations down and also to supplement calcium and magnesium which Fox Farms is a little shy on. It comes in a few forms and what you want is called pulverized. It should look like dirt, but with a grainy consistency that doesn't have any stick to it. A little like sand, but brown. You can find it at any garden store. Cal-Mag would also work, it is a liquid concentrate of basically the same stuff.

7. I think thats what I need my plants. they are in FFOF and the ph is low, which i think is causing my plants to get orange spots on them due to cal/mg def.
    U think i should buy Dolomite lime or ph up or both to help my plants? they are around 2 weeks old atm.
    heres a link if you want to see some pics of them: http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/506491-orange-spots-spreading-my-plants-w-pics.html

8. All "hydroponic" food can be used from regular dirt to peat and hydro gardens. Just watch the PPM and use the proper PH for the medium.

Hydro or Hydroponics doesn't mean just growing with water its growing plants in an inert medium, so growing plants in peat, saw dust, rockwool, water, lava rocks, etc is still hydroponics.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I added about 2 tbsp spread on the top of the soil and I add about 1 tbsp per gallon of nutrients when I feed and it seems to be reversing the same problem I'm having.

10. ok do u suggest I use dolomite lime and ph up together or will dolomite lime do the trick to increase the ph of my soil?

11. ... um... I just told you what I did and that it worked for me... I've never used pH up so I can't suggest it. Take what you will from my experience but I'm not going to tell you what to do.

12. ok thanks, what type of water do u water ur plants with? distilled?

13. if your planning to usin lime to raise your ph in soil where a current plant is growin I do NOT reccommend it. Lime will take about 3 months to raise to ph fully as its goin to, thats why most people if their gona add lime to their soil they do it months before the seaon begins giving it time to settle in. Even if u add lime you wont see results for long time and ur plant wiill continue to get worse. I suggest you go out and buy a bottle of ph down and ph up shouldnt cost ya to much.

14. I bought a bottle of ph down and a bottle of mag-cal

15. For FF products, is it thru the whole grow cycle that it lacks Calcium? I use their whole feeding schedule plus supplements. Is it more necessary at a certain stage? I'm at week 5 flwr and they look fine, but it would be helpful for next time should I run to any problems being a noob.

16. I didn't start having calcium issues until about week 5 after transplanting to a 5 gallon planter. I also use a fair amount of perlite in my mix, so if you didn't mix in perlite you might be able to push it a bit longer. Also, I'm sure your strain will determine much here, as not all strains require the same levels of nutrients.

17. Ya, no added perlite just FFOF soil. There are plenty of pics around showing calcium def. problems so I'll know what to be looking for. My Shiva Skunk flowers in 45-55 days so there are only a few weeks where it might be an issue. My Sour Diesel is 9-11 weeks so I'll have to think about my options.

Also does the dude that posted this thread need more nitrogen for veg? I know FF Hydro Grow Big is 3-2-6 while the soil formula is 6-4-4. I'm guessing he'll be alright but my noob-ass has consistenly heard for soil "in veg, the nitrogen # should be higher than the other 2; while in flwr, phosphorous should be the highest." Just seeing if that point made could maybe save him Nitrogen defeciency issues. Any advice?